We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

About the Pilot Station accommodation

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,184 posts
144 reviews
About the Pilot Station accommodation

Hi all

Well I am on my way with the itinerary now. We have decided to go around 12th April and I am concerned about the weather foremost then. I am as far as accomo at Low Head. I can't seem to find much about the Pilot Station there for accomo, well I can but no photos of what we will get. I have had a fleeting visit there some 5 years back to snap some photos in March....what do you all think...too cold, windy, isolated...I am really into lighthouses and my hubby likes unusual accomo and views...we are not into nightlife, crowds, noises etc...except for Salamanca markets, Hobart wharf area...we will be self cont everywhere and love to cook, especially Tassies offerings...

so far our accommo is great cottages, apartments with water/mountain views....Luigialterego where are you? Any thoughts ...ANY ONE

Niec

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,184 posts
144 reviews
11. Re: About the Pilot Station accommodation

Don't worry the closet does rattle a bit!

He also stayed with his great friend a coxswain (in charge of 20 Gov. ships some brigs with guns) at the old Sydney Port in that house in his latter years and his friend was once a convict...our country was built on the strong backs of the early settlers whoever they may have been.

Now Luigi....are you really Luigi....Is that not Italian?

I just loved Italy....more history than anyone!

In the throes of the car rental now....

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
30,982 posts
77 reviews
12. Re: About the Pilot Station accommodation

Of course I'm Luigi! If not, someone's impersonating me!

Harvey

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,184 posts
144 reviews
13. Re: About the Pilot Station accommodation

you little tassie devil you!

Australia
Level Contributor
1,856 posts
41 reviews
14. Re: About the Pilot Station accommodation

Hi, regarding Low Head, did you see this link?

lighthouse.net.au/Lights/…Accommodation.asp

I have looked inside one of the houses on the Pilot Station: the largest one, which was the Captain's House. It is a large weatheboard house, right on the water. It appeared comfortable, but absolutely NOT luxurious. It is very simple, and not "done up" really. However, if you really want to be on the Pilot Station it, and the other cottages, are in a lovely spot. I haven't seen in the other cottages - they are very old, Georgian. The other option is Belfont Cottages (they are on the above link). They have been done up, in a simple manner, however, they are not on the Pilot Station. They are on the main road between the town of George Town and Low Head. You really can't guess what the weather will be like - there are lovely walks to do at Low Head itself, and along East Beach. There is a little Maritime Museum in one of the cottages on the Pilot Station, and the walk up to the lighthouse is very picturesque. On Sunday at noon the old fog horn is set off. Some very keen locals have restored it. It is a very evocative sound. Feel free to ask any questions, I might be able to help. Cheers

PS If you Google and click on IMAGES for Pilot Station Low Head, there are some lovelyy photos, but not of the inside of the accommodation.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,856 posts
41 reviews
15. Re: About the Pilot Station accommodation

PS, if you look at the photo on the link Niec posted:

www.parks.tas.gov.au/index.aspx?base=5819

The Captain's house is on the front row of the buildings, 2nd from the right. It is one that is on its own, with the steep roof. The little one on the far right was the school house. Then the bigger one you see is the Captains' House.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,184 posts
144 reviews
16. Re: About the Pilot Station accommodation

Thanks for all that info re the Pilot station Vicolivia, I think we will forego the accomodation on your information and we may stay somewhere central in the Tamar Valley near the river and just drive up and down the river both sides and on up to Low Head and spend time looking through the Museums and the site. The pictures are great. The Smokey Cape Lighthouse in the photos on the eastern seaboard is at South West Rocks NSW and it is the highest along the eastern coast...fantastic and very nice accomo there also...lovely little beach below...if ever you are interested.

Thanks again to you and Luigialterego....

Niec

Sydney
Level Contributor
67 posts
65 reviews
17. Re: About the Pilot Station accommodation

We have stayed at the pilot station lighthouses cottages a few years ago. They look colonial from the outside, inside are very 80's and basic. Very clean & roomy though but don't expect anything flash. We have also stayed at the belfont cottages in low head, these have more character, but are smaller. Would stay in either again.

Sydney
Level Contributor
67 posts
65 reviews
18. Re: About the Pilot Station accommodation

Have stayed at the Pilot station cottages a few years ago. They look colonial from the outside, but are very basic & 80's looking inside. However, they are clean & roomy. We stayed in a 3 bedroom cottage, a short stroll to the adjacent beach.

We have also stayed at the Belfont Cottages at Low Head. These have more character but are smaller.

In all, would stay in either again. Hope this helps.

19. Re: About the Pilot Station accommodation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2010, 16:17
Get answers to your questions about Low Head