We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Closing Down

Lowestoft
Level Contributor
1,756 posts
42 reviews
Closing Down

Just returned from 2 weeks in Alykes & as usual enjoyed it. Arrival we had a bumpy landing very strong X winds, Then standing in my bar ordering my FIRST drink the building & floor shook, weird feeling we were having a earth tremor, my first experiance of one. Every day another bar or restaurant closed but still enough to go around. Departure seemed better through the airport, still not quite finished. Dont expect there will be much more going on this forum until next year so like the resort closing down. All the best & will check on things in the New Year

3 replies to this topic
Chorley, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
20 reviews
1. Re: Closing Down

had would no idea there had been an earthquake in October but it woould not put me off my holiday there in May, so looking fward to revisiting back there first time in 6 years. As to the earthquake, survived Turkish one epicenrtre Marmaris which was my first holiday abroad.

CARDIFF U.K.
Destination Expert
for Gran Canaria, Alykes, Alykanas
Level Contributor
7,290 posts
64 reviews
2. Re: Closing Down

Earth "tremors" occur throughout the year in both Zákynthos and nearby Kefalonia and are part and parcel of everyday life when they happen anytime. I can't put a finger on an accurate number but certainly a dozen or more throughout the year. These tremors are usually very short lasting just a few seconds at most with some hardly noticeable at all. We've experienced a couple whilst on holiday there over the years and the one mentioned above was the biggest for years with other small tremors last for some days afterwards before settling back down. This part of the Ionian sea was devistated by an "earthquake" back in 1953 with mass destruction and great loss of life. It certainly doesn't put us off and we will continue to visit the island during Summer as we have done for many years now,

Here's a link to the 1953 event :- https:/…

Edited: 30 December 2018, 22:56
Chorley, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
20 reviews
3. Re: Closing Down

thank you so much.

Reply to: Closing Down
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Alykes
Recent Conversations
More Alykes Topics