We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Nudity Mandatory at Orient Beach?

Pearland, Texas
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Is Nudity Mandatory at Orient Beach?

My wife and I are not prudes, and she has gone topless on several vacations when it is allowed, but has reservations about going totally nude on the beach. One of our best couple friends loves St. Maarten and go to the nude beach at Orient Beach. I don't think they'd steer us wrong when they say you can be clothed, even in nude areas? Just making sure! ;) My wife may try it, but I don't want her to feel pressured! I'm fine with it myself! Are there other beaches in St. Maarten where it is optional, or are they all clothing optional?

Mentioned in this post
26 replies to this topic
Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,887 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Nudity Mandatory at Orient Beach?

It's a clothing OPTIONAL beach area. Wear what you like.

Pearland, Texas
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Nudity Mandatory at Orient Beach?

Thanks!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
340 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Nudity Mandatory at Orient Beach?

It is doubtful you would see anyone nude unless you go to Club Orient which is at the very end of the beach

Conversely if you go there just about everyone is naked

Mentioned in this post
Club Orient Resort
Club Orient Resort
525 Reviews
St Martin / St Maarten
Connecticut
Level Contributor
233 posts
517 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Nudity Mandatory at Orient Beach?

I'm simply sitting here with a big 'ol smile on my face wondering how "mandatory nudity" would be enforced. LOL!!

Atlanta, Georgia
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Nudity Mandatory at Orient Beach?

Club O is the perfect place to try, or not try, nudity without feeling pressured. No one cares what you do. Since that will be obvious to you quickly, I predict she will easily get comfortable with it.

Virginia
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Nudity Mandatory at Orient Beach?

As others have said, at only the Club Orient section of the beach is full nudity legal, but the Club O section is clothing optional so you can wear what you want, but once you are there you will wonder why you need clothes. My husband and I stayed at Club Orient a week and soon realized no one cares what you look like and most are nude. Your wife can just use a mini-sarong around her bottom half when she is out of the water if that makes her more comfortable. I also use a full size sarong when going to dinner at Papagayo's but soon take it off and am just sitting on it. You must have a towel or something to sit on in The Perch or Papagayo anyway. The Menus are on their website so you can answer your variety question. We like their food. Have lunch at Yellow Submarine near the village. Need clothes there though. We liked their chicken and Tuna wraps. Previous to last year, We stayed elsewhere and used the nude Club Orient Beach section, but after staying at a Club O mini-suite near the boutique and beach and being able to have everything there with to clothes on, it was wonderful and it's hard for me to go anywhere else this year. I would go from beach to our room, and bring fresh drinks back to our chairs on the beach. Very safe and beautiful walk to room and back. Have fun and Stay at Club Orient resort if you can. You will never want a wet bathing suit again.

Mentioned in this post
Club Orient Resort
Club Orient Resort
525 Reviews
St Martin / St Maarten
Erie, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
33 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Nudity Mandatory at Orient Beach?

Hello Ivan. Full nudity is not required on any part of Orient Beach, including the beach adjacent to Club Orient on the southern end. Orient Beach consists of two main sections. The area north of Pedro's stretches for almost one mile and women are allowed to go topless on this section, but any type of full nudity is prohibited. To the south of Pedro's is the clothing optional beach that some refer to as Club Orient Beach, but in reality it is a public beach. Here, anything goes. You can wear a three-piece suit or your birthday suit ... it's strictly up to you. The atmosphere on this part of the beach is totally relaxed, and the first time I visited it felt strange wearing my swimming trunks. Although my wife did not join me, I shed my trunks and enjoyed a walk along the beach and a dip in the water and can only say it was totally liberating! I'd suggest taking a walk along the entire length of Orient Beach when you arrive, and see what you are comfortable with. Trust me when I tell you that no one is paying attention whether or not you are with or without apparel, so my suggestion is to give it a try! Hope this helps.

Mentioned in this post
Club Orient Resort
Club Orient Resort
525 Reviews
St Martin / St Maarten
Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
26 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Nudity Mandatory at Orient Beach?

not at all! orient beach is a very big beach with a host of beach bars and restaurants for every kind of traveler.

but if you're looking for the best nude beaches this is a good place to start. caribjournal.com/2015/…

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
8,142 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Nudity Mandatory at Orient Beach?

I'll just add, that if you choose to lounge at the part of the beach considered "Club Orient Beach" and you're not nude, you will definitely stand out. Not only that, but nudists will wonder what you're doing there and may question your motivation. Love Club O and the beach, but the looky-loos that walk past to gawk can get a bit much. I can only imagine if a non-nudist chose to spend the day on a chaise in that section. I mean, WHY?

Mentioned in this post
Club Orient Resort
Club Orient Resort
525 Reviews
St Martin / St Maarten
Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,088 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Nudity Mandatory at Orient Beach?

Poozieny, I go to the Club O section fully clothed and have never been harrassed for not being nude. I have friends that enjoy being nude and want to go there, I myself only do it when the whim hits me. But I join my friends because it is the proper place for THEM to be. So I am not sure it is fair for any of the nudists to question my motivations nor am I really sure they ever have!

Reply to: Is Nudity Mandatory at Orient Beach?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Orient Bay