We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parafrugell v Calella

Castleford, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
18 reviews
Parafrugell v Calella

Hi, I've been reading so many posts I'm getting very confused and hope someone can take the time to help me,please. Our plan so far is to fly into Girona Tues/Wed spend 4 nights around CdP and then travel to Perpignan on the Saturday. We intend to hire a car for the week but am not sure whether we should stay in Calella or Parafrugell. Can anyone tell me the difference please? I think we would prefer to stay in the area with most choice of bars within a walkable distance as whilst we we are quite prepared to walk for 50 mins from one to the other, I'm not sure if this would be practical at nightime. We obviously don't want to be driving in the evening. Is Parafrugell uphill from Calella? Is parking any easier in either place? As we are travelling to France does anyone think we should consider a different base e.g. Estartit or Roses? We will be travelling around the 25/26 June. Any advice would be really appreciated.

5 replies to this topic
Palafrugell, Spain
Level Contributor
1,333 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: Parafrugell v Calella

Calella de Palafrugell is a very pretty coastal village (not to be confused with Calella de la Costa further south on the Maresme coast), about 2-3km from Palafrugell town. CdP is fairly upmarket with bars and restaurants gathered around Port Pelegri beach, but pretty genteel - it's not a boozy, party place by any means.

Palafrugell town is very much a locals orientated working town, and the main commercial area for CdP with supermarkets. It's not touristy in its own right, and while it also has bars and restaurants these cater mostly to the local population. Normally if you're in CdP or neighbouring Llafranc, you'd stay at the coast in the evening.

L'Estartit and Roses are bigger than CdP and more tourist focused, but not as pretty, but would have more holiday party type bars. Escala old village is pretty with the old town centre right on the coast. If it's just a place for boozing, then really only Lloret is that type of town.

Castleford, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
18 reviews
2. Re: Parafrugell v Calella

Thank you Saul, we are not looking for a boozy holiday and certainly don't want to stay in lloret (although that would make our trip do much easier) but we do like to end our day with a few drinks in a bar/restaurant and would like to be able to do this without driving. We now have cross border car hire sorted so think we will continue looking for accommodation in CdP.

Rossett, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
131 reviews
3. Re: Parafrugell v Calella

Highly recommend the Hotel Port Bo

We stay there every year and it’s a perfect family owned hotel.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Parafrugell v Calella

Thanks great information for us travelling next June

Edited: 12 September 2018, 16:23
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Parafrugell v Calella