We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Calella

St Albans, United...
Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Topic
Calella

Maybe a daft question but is Calella de Palafrugell and just Calella the same place only i went to Calella a few years back and looks nothing like the Parafrugell place???

Thanks in advance xx

Mentioned in this post
Calella de Palafrugell
Calella de Palafrugell
Palafrugell, Spain
Calella
Calella
Province of Barcelona, Spain
17 replies to this topic
Bristol
Level Contributor
418 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Calella

No,your thinking of Calella de la Costa a lot nearer Barcelona and about 7 times the size of Calella de Palafrugell which is like a small village in comparison a nd further north

Easy mistake to make

Mentioned in this post
Calella
Calella
Costa
Costa
72 Reviews
Platja d'Aro, Spain
Barcelona
Barcelona
Calella de Palafrugell
Calella de Palafrugell
Palafrugell, Spain
Province of Girona...
Level Contributor
1,618 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Calella

It does not help when Tour Operators sell Calella de la Costa, as 'Costa Brava' when in fact it is Costa Maresme!

Mentioned in this post
Calella
Calella
Costa
Costa
72 Reviews
Platja d'Aro, Spain
London
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Calella

I realise this is an old post but I also have the same question. Reading up online many rentals and other websites describe Calella and Calella de Palafrugell as being two different areas (although I am presuming connected), definitely both in Costa Brava. One is often described as the old town and the other sometimes referred to as the newer, livelier beach resort. Can anyone give any more information or advice on what specific map location I should be looking at to ensure we are in the older, more characterful area. We are looking at a property close to Carrer de la Metal-Lurgiajoleria.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Calella
Calella
Calella de Palafrugell
Calella de Palafrugell
Palafrugell, Spain
Costa Brava
Costa Brava
Province of Girona, Spain
Palafrugell, Spain
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Calella

They're totally distinct - about 60km between them. CdP, the prettier one, is close to Palafrugell in central Costa Brava. Calella de la Costa is further south close to Malgrat de Mar on the Costa Maresme.

Mentioned in this post
Palafrugell
Palafrugell
Costa Brava, Spain
Costa Brava
Costa Brava
Province of Girona, Spain
Calella
Calella
Costa
Costa
72 Reviews
Platja d'Aro, Spain
Malgrat de Mar
Malgrat de Mar
London
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Calella

so the listing for this restaurant which has both Palafrugell and Calella de Palafrugell in the address is actually in Callela de la Costa?

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReview…

and this is also somewhere else, not anywhere near Palafrugell?

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Rev…

Am very confused.

Mentioned in this post
Palafrugell
Palafrugell
Costa Brava, Spain
Calella de Palafrugell
Calella de Palafrugell
Palafrugell, Spain
Costa
Costa
72 Reviews
Platja d'Aro, Spain
Province of Girona...
Level Contributor
1,618 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Calella

No!

Calau is a delighful tapas restaurant in Calella de Palafrugell, as the address states and the botanical gardens are at Cap Roig, nearby.

Now I am confused as to what you mean

Mentioned in this post
Calau
Calau
870 Reviews
Calella de Palafrugell, Spain
Calella de Palafrugell
Calella de Palafrugell
Palafrugell, Spain
Palafrugell, Spain
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Calella

As Roxy said, both are in or near to CdP, because CdP is a village in the municipality of Palafrugell. Basically if it mentions Palafrugell it's CdP.

If it helps think of the interpretation of 'Calella' as 'little/pretty bay'. Then Calella de Palafrugell is 'little/pretty bay of Palafrugell', and Calella de la Costa is 'pretty bay of the (maresme) coast'. It's not quite accurate, but perhaps helps as a shorthand to explain the similarity of the names.

Mentioned in this post
Palafrugell
Palafrugell
Costa Brava, Spain
Calella de Palafrugell
Calella de Palafrugell
Palafrugell, Spain
Calella
Calella
Costa
Costa
72 Reviews
Platja d'Aro, Spain
London
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Calella

Thank you both for helping to clear that up, makes sense now. I think some other trip advisors had confused me by adding Costa into the equation. We are definitely aiming for Costa Brave as have stayed in Begur before and visited most of the beautiful bays around the coast. We are just looking for somewhere similar (albeit smaller) that will allow us to stay in walking distance of a small town or large village for easy access to restaurants, a few shops and hopefully a weekly market but also giving us more chance of finding somewhere with a pool. We have found one online so just wanted to make sure we didn't end up in a totally different area or somewhere without the character and traditional feel of Palafrugell.. Thank you both again for your help.

Mentioned in this post
Costa
Costa
72 Reviews
Platja d'Aro, Spain
Begur
Begur
Costa Brava, Spain
Palafrugell
Palafrugell
Costa Brava, Spain
Province of Girona...
Level Contributor
1,618 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Calella

Calella de Palafrugell sounds perfect for you and it is linked by the coastal path GR92 to Llafanc, another small town on a beautiful bay. If you are feeling energetic you can continue along the path to the lighthouse Sant Sebastia and up the coast to Tamariu, yet another beautiful village.

There is a very good market on Sunday in Palafrugell, popular with locals and tourists alike. Again, no need to drive if you are up for a walk from C de P.

Mentioned in this post
Calella de Palafrugell
Calella de Palafrugell
Palafrugell, Spain
Tamariu
Tamariu
Palafrugell, Spain
Palafrugell
Palafrugell
Costa Brava, Spain
London
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Calella

Thank you. Can I just ask about eating out. As we will be within walking distance of the old town part that is probably where we would eat out in the evenings, rather than having to drive to the beach area. Are the restaurants in the town as good, local food etc. We probably won't eat out every evening and am sure will do a bit of everything but just thought I'd try and get as much information as I can before booking anything.

Reply to: Calella
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Calella de Palafrugell