We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Meteora Monasteries - Independent tours possible?

Ness Ziona, Israel
Level Contributor
2,970 posts
115 reviews
152 helpful votes
Meteora Monasteries - Independent tours possible?

Hello all,

We would love to visit Meteora as part of our trip through Northern Greece this summer. I am looking for some guidance:

Do most people hike in Meteora independently, or does everyone do guided trips? We love hiking and beautiful scenery, and don't usually like to accommodate to others' schedules while on vacation, but we are willing to do so if it really makes a difference.

Another question: Can one enjoy the Museum of Natural History without using electronic devices? On the museum website, it mentions that you can take independent guided tours using QR codes. We are religious Jews who do not turn on electricity or handle cellphones, etc. on the Sabbath, and we may be on Meteora on the Sabbath. I thought if we bought tickets ahead of time, we could visit this museum for a few hours in the afternoon (assuming we find accommodation within walking distance). Does this sound doable, or is this museum difficult to visit without using electronics?

TIA for all your expert advice.

8 replies to this topic
Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
2,471 posts
132 reviews
152 helpful votes
1. Re: Meteora Monasteries - Independent tours possible?

We hiked independently a few years ago, as that is our preference (no coach tours for us). I recall being given a basic map by our hotel which helped. We were staying in Kalambaka but returned via Kastraki to Kalambaka. In our opinion it was the best way to appreciate the scenery which is stunning, we obviously didn't visit all the monasteries, as the outdoors and scenery is our thing.

Sorry can't help with your other question.

Edited: 1 year ago
Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
20,303 posts
81 reviews
168 helpful votes
2. Re: Meteora Monasteries - Independent tours possible?

I didn’t have any kind of electronic device at the Natural History Museum, I don’t think they were even an option when we visited.

There was plenty of info boards so I’d say yes, worth visiting without using anything electronic :)

Washingon DC area
Level Contributor
3,074 posts
4 reviews
2 helpful votes
3. Re: Meteora Monasteries - Independent tours possible?

The only tour I'd have considered in Meteora was a sunset tour and I don't know if it even involved hikes to the monasteries. We just spent two days on our own (I assume you'll have a car) and managed to get to about 10 of the monasteries and didn't feel we'd missed anything doing it on our own.

Before going, I'd never even heard of the Natural History Museum (the Mushroom Museum?) but we just went because it was there. Didn't use a cell phone and it was one of the unexpected delights of the trip.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
7,191 posts
4 reviews
52 helpful votes
4. Re: Meteora Monasteries - Independent tours possible?

Absolutely no need for guides or devices, go for it!

Ness Ziona, Israel
Level Contributor
2,970 posts
115 reviews
152 helpful votes
5. Re: Meteora Monasteries - Independent tours possible?

Yes, the Natural History and Mushroom Museum. Looks like one of those goofy little niche places that will wind up being a lot of fun.

Okay, so looks like that might be a possible way to have a little fun on Saturday afternoon.

And it looks like we can poke around the area independently, so that is promising.

Fantastic! Thanks, all. :)

Tampa
Level Contributor
19 posts
7 reviews
4 helpful votes
6. Re: Meteora Monasteries - Independent tours possible?

If no guided tour what is the best way to get around if we come by train?

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
2,471 posts
132 reviews
152 helpful votes
7. Re: Meteora Monasteries - Independent tours possible?

Depends on your level of fitness and your interests, but as we appreciate experiencing the local area/scenery we hiked it. Stunning. Also, of course, depends when you are going because we went early May so it wasn't too hot.

Edited: 1 year ago
Tsouknida, Greece
Level Contributor
1,611 posts
82 reviews
35 helpful votes
8. Re: Meteora Monasteries - Independent tours possible?

I thought there were only 6 monasteries (2 of them nunneries) not 10?

Reply to: Meteora Monasteries - Independent tours possible?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kastraki
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Australia. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.