We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self Drive Athens Airport to Meteora/Kastraki in the evening

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2 posts
18 reviews
12 helpful votes
Self Drive Athens Airport to Meteora/Kastraki in the evening

I was planning on flying in from Naxos to Athens on Friday September 6th around 10am and driving straight to meteora for 2 nights. However, as I started booking everything the only flight still available from Naxos to Athens (on Aegean/Olympia, will not fly sky express) does not get there until 6pm. If there are two of us and we are picking up the car immediately after arrival and head straight to our hotel in Kastraki do you think driving in the dark towards the tail end of this trip will be a problem?

We have our international drivers licenses and will probably be using google maps. We have not driven in greece before, but will have driven on some of the islands before we get to this. I am very bummed about the earlier flight being sold out but cannot modify the prior bookings to accommodate. Please let me know if you think driving at night will be something we need to worry about. Thanks!

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
963 posts
91 reviews
63 helpful votes
1. Re: Self Drive Athens Airport to Meteora/Kastraki in the evening

Hmm I would actually advise against driving on the dark if at all avoidable, . It really gets very dark in the night here and the roads are while good not marked with reflection stripe poles and the curve markings are sketchy at best. Also consider that it is a 4 hour drive in lit conditions so it will be late

That said this particular road is not among the worst nightdrives I can imagine , but personaly in your situation I would still find a hotel close to the motorway a few km from the airport and stay the night and swallow the extra cost

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
963 posts
91 reviews
63 helpful votes
2. Re: Self Drive Athens Airport to Meteora/Kastraki in the evening

Idea after I posted, As an alternative have you checked for a morning ferry ? It doesn't take that long and if lucky there might be one to rafina which is rather close to the airport . You could arrive after Lunch then and make the drive in light

3. Re: Self Drive Athens Airport to Meteora/Kastraki in the evening

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity.

What are forum guidelines?
Get answers to your questions about Kastraki
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Australia. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.