We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Meteora - afternoon walk?

Olhao, Portugal
Level Contributor
669 posts
21 reviews
10 helpful votes
Meteora - afternoon walk?

Unfortunately I shall only be able to be there for one afternoon - any recommendations for an unforgettable walk? Preferably not too crowded (will be Sunday).

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,974 posts
1. Re: Meteora - afternoon walk?

The only walking in the area is the paths to & between the monasteries, so just make the most of those & the views. There is really nothing else to do in the immediate vicinity of Kalambaka/Kastraki unless you have another day or two to fill. One afternoon is hardly enough time to see a couple of monasteries so I don't think you will be kicking your heels!

Olhao, Portugal
Level Contributor
669 posts
21 reviews
10 helpful votes
2. Re: Meteora - afternoon walk?

Yeah, sure, I know it's all about the monasteries! :-)

What I wanted to know was which monastery/monasteries makes the most memorable walk, given the lack of time?

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,974 posts
3. Re: Meteora - afternoon walk?

I don't know as being short of time I only drove between the monasteries. And visiting will depend which are open on the day you are there. Anywhere in & around the monasteries will reward you with the views.

Olhao, Portugal
Level Contributor
669 posts
21 reviews
10 helpful votes
4. Re: Meteora - afternoon walk?

OK, thanks. This is going to be a long day... Monodendri to Lefkada via Meteora... :-)

Fuerteventura
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Paros, Sifnos
Level Contributor
8,843 posts
1,463 reviews
833 helpful votes
5. Re: Meteora - afternoon walk?

There is a great walk from Kastraki to the Grand Monastery and back down to Kastraki. It heads west out of Kastraki at first. Ask where you are staying about this. There were very few people apart from a walking group when we did it at the end of June,

6. Re: Meteora - afternoon walk?

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity.

What are forum guidelines?
Get answers to your questions about Kastraki
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Australia. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.