We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Japan Train Ticket Help Needed

London, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Japan Train Ticket Help Needed

Japanese train systems are confusing! Please could you help me?

I fly into Narita Airport and need to get to Shinjuku station.

I am in Tokyo for ten nights and plan to visit each of the main districts Ginza, Shinjuku, Shibuya, and Akihabara.

I’d also like to visit Mt Fuji on a day trip within those ten nights.

I need to fly out of Heneda.

If I did this itinary, would a simple JR Pass be sufficient and the cheapest option?

If not, what long-distance day trips are worth doing? IE Kyoto?

19 replies to this topic
Japan
Level Contributor
4,021 posts
149 reviews
11. Re: Japan Train Ticket Help Needed

7-day pass, nope. You qualify for the discount ticket to Kyoto making the 7-day pass a more expensive option.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
28,417 posts
69 reviews
12. Re: Japan Train Ticket Help Needed

If op takes the train to Kawaguchiko and Kyoto, he should get a 7 day pass.

Japan
Level Contributor
4,021 posts
149 reviews
13. Re: Japan Train Ticket Help Needed

Kawaguchiko is only 2,600-ish saving on the JR pass for the round trip (because the Fujikyu piece is not covered.) With the discount Tokyo/Kyoto ticket I would struggle to get to 29,000 yen on the OP's schedule.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
14. Re: Japan Train Ticket Help Needed

Thank you. So if I don’t need a JR Pass, what tickets would you recommend? Is it worth getting the JR Pass - paying a little more - for the convienance given I have no knowledge of the Japan train system?

I leave in three weeks so conscious that if I do get one, I need to order ASAP as it takes two weeks to arrive.

Japan
Level Contributor
4,021 posts
149 reviews
15. Re: Japan Train Ticket Help Needed

>>>as it takes two weeks to arrive<<<

???

Three days - worldwide. Depends where you are buying from.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
28,417 posts
69 reviews
16. Re: Japan Train Ticket Help Needed

If you take a day trip Shinjuku-Kawaguchiko, you'll add 5,000yen if you use the Kaiji Express from Shinjuku to Otsuki. So with a round trip Tokyo-Kyoto, it'll be more than a 7 day pass (26,000+5000=31,000yen.)

In addition, you can use the pass within Tokyo, Kyoto and Tokyo-HND.

This is a good seller:

https://www.japan-rail-pass.com

California
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
335 reviews
17. Re: Japan Train Ticket Help Needed

Still doing Kyoto as a day trip from Shinjuku? That's 5 to 6 hours of total travel time. How long do you intend for this day trip to last? What do you intend to see in Kyoto?

Japan
Level Contributor
4,021 posts
149 reviews
18. Re: Japan Train Ticket Help Needed

I do not know why people are so distressed by a Tokyo to Kyoto day trip. It is not so different from going to Nagano, Sendai/Matsushima, Nikko or even Kyoto to Hiroshima/Miyajima. Even the Hakone loop as a long day depending how you do it and the attractions/places you can visit.

With a rail-pass I could get to Kyoto by 8 a.m. if I really wanted to, but the train arriving 9:14 is more sensible - that is about the time of day I would normally start in Kyoto (9 am as a default).

As for a return, even my last weekend/overnight to the city was a 6:30 p.m. train on the Sunday evening and I had a very full day.

The guy is flying UK to Japan, he wants to make the most of his time, it's not hard.

(I used to do day trips flying between New Zealand Australia for my business - some of those were long days, others pretty easy.)

New Zealand
Level Contributor
6,963 posts
386 reviews
19. Re: Japan Train Ticket Help Needed

Yes, a day trip to Kyoto is doable, but with 10 days in Japan there is scope to stay overnight and see a bit more. While the travel time to Kyoto is comparable to Nikko, Kyoto is far more spread out than Nikko, which means some time will be taken up travelling around the city.

Reply to: Japan Train Ticket Help Needed
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted