We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Year's Eve

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
12,210 posts
103 reviews
Save Topic
New Year's Eve

Hello, two friends and I are visiting Easter Island for 4 nights, and our last night there is New Year's Eve. We are staying at Hotel Vai Moana. Are there any special celebrations or fireworks for NYE? Do the hotels usually have parties? If we just go out to dinner and then to bars, do we need to make dinner reservations since it's a holiday? I'd certainly appreciate your suggestions and advice.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Kotaro
$$ - $$$, Japanese
Neptune Island
$$ - $$$, Seafood, International, Polynesian
Te Moai Sunset
$, Seafood, International, Polynesian
8 replies to this topic
Easter Island, Chile
Destination Expert
for Easter Island
Level Contributor
552 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: New Year's Eve

There's typically fireworks. Hotels typically do not organize parties. Yes, you need to book a table beforehand.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
12,210 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Year's Eve

Thanks, do you have any recommendations for where to book a table? We'd like to go somewhere nice, and cost is not a huge concern. Gracias!

Easter Island, Chile
Destination Expert
for Easter Island
Level Contributor
552 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: New Year's Eve

Typically, most restaurants make a decision only a week or two in advance if they're open or not.

This might sound funny to you since anywhere else you need to book a table 6 months in advance or so only to get into a restaurant for New Year's eve.

However, any restaurant will be full on the island anyway so there's no point taking in reservations months in advance. Additionally, most restaurants are family run businesses so they might open and close whenever they feel like it...

Consult your hotel on-site upon check-in.

Belfast, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: New Year's Eve

Hi Jarkko, you seem to be a great source of info about Easter Island (we've been reading up on getting tattoos too). My husband and I have visited Easter Island before, in 2012, but for our second visit we'll be visiting over New Year's Eve too. Are the fireworks in a specific place such as the main downtown area (I remember watching an evening football (soccer) match in a pitch down by the harbour in an area with restaurants and bars too. We mostly plan to go and watch the sun goo down, but obviously fireworks after dark would be amazing! Thanks for all your contributions to these forum discussions, you've been a real help.

Edited: 07 August 2016, 21:56
Mentioned in this post
Easter Island, Chile
Destination Expert
for Easter Island
Level Contributor
552 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: New Year's Eve

You can see fireworks best near the area you did refer (a short walk towards cemetery from the football field).

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
12,210 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Year's Eve

Jarkko, thanks for your response. We wound up reserving a table at the restaurant just behind the cemetery. I can't remember its name but it's next to the Mana Gallery. This was our vantage point:

https:/…

This was the menu:

https:/…

It was an easy walk from our hotel (Vai Moana), and the service was friendly. The food was as good as we'd had anywhere else on the island. They were fine with us arriving at 8 and staying all night. It was the perfect vantage point for watching the fireworks, which were directly ahead of us over the cemetery. There were also a lot of people picnicking on the lawns to the southwest of the cemetery and in front of Ahu Tahai.

This area of Hanga Roa was especially festive, and we had many toasts and exchanged many New Years greetings with the locals. There were a few fireworks every ten minutes or so starting at 11, then the big show was at midnight, obviously. It was a perfect spot to ring in the New Year.

For future reference, we started looking for reservations on 12/30, and inquired at 6 restaurants before arriving at this one. I suggest that people plan in advance, as everything else we tried was closed or full.

Mentioned in this post
Ahu Tahai
Ahu Tahai
720 Reviews
Easter Island, Chile
Hanga Roa
Hanga Roa
Easter Island, Chile
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
12,210 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Year's Eve

The restaurant was Manuia. We ate there a few times, and thought the food was great. It seemed less touristy, more local, and had a splendid view of Ahu Tahai from the deck.

Mentioned in this post
Ahu Tahai
Ahu Tahai
720 Reviews
Easter Island, Chile
Adelaide, Australia
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: New Year's Eve

Hi we are going to be in Easter Island this year new years eve. What is the contact number for the restaurant Manuia? Do they speak English?

Many thanks for your information.

Sui from Australia

Mentioned in this post
Reply to: New Year's Eve
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Hanga Roa
Recent Conversations