We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mokomae Tattoo

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
18 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Mokomae Tattoo

Does anyone have a tattoo by Mokomae ?

I can't tell from the photos if he is up to date with hygienic standards - disposable needles and ink pots / autoclave / disinfection.

Would appreciate any feedback.

Really like the quality and design of his work.

8 replies to this topic
Easter Island, Chile
Destination Expert
for Easter Island
Level Contributor
552 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Mokomae Tattoo

I'm certain everything meets high standards since the place is run by (possibly) the most famous tattoo artist of the island. He's truly a nice guy, by the way.

One of my friends had a small tattoo there and, at least she was real happy about the quality of his work.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
18 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mokomae Tattoo

Thanks Jarkko. I found a tattoo website that has a nice profile and interview with Tito. It confirms that modern machines and proper procedures are used these days.

When I get close to my trip, I will see if he has time during Tapati to add a new tattoo to my arm.

1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Mokomae Tattoo

You may have already gone to Hanga Roa, but I have a tattoo from Mokomae. It's a small one, about 1.5 by 2 inches, of a sea turtle. It took him about 30 seconds and cost $50. He is very talented, totally hygienic, speaks English well. I was 59 years old at the time and it was my first (and only) tattoo, the only thing I wanted when I went to Easter Island. Would highly recommend

Mentioned in this post
Hanga Roa
Hanga Roa
Easter Island, Chile
Freeport, New York
Level Contributor
4 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mokomae Tattoo

Great artist

No problems with tat

London
Level Contributor
25 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mokomae Tattoo

May I ask if you emailed to book an appointment or whether you just turned up. My husband and I are only on Easter Island for a short time and would like to be tattooed by Mokomae but unfortunately he hasn't manage to respond to my email request. Many thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
18 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mokomae Tattoo

I was there during Tapati 2017 for my Mokomae tattoo. He was in and out that week for dance practices, and I arrived for an afternoon session and waited in line for about an hour. This was the busiest tourist season, and I was still able to get mine done. Price was determined after it was done, and it was more than fair - I gave a great tip. I would suggest that you have your hotel call for an appointment when you arrive. If you are there off-season, you should not have any problems. Recommended - Bring your own gauze, bandages, and bacatracin (antibiotic gel) with you to the island. I spent almost $50 for bandages at the local pharmacy.

London
Level Contributor
25 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mokomae Tattoo

Thanks for the swift response. We're going in 4 weeks, so not peak season. In the UK tattoos are mostly wrapped in cling film. Cheers for the advice.

Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mokomae Tattoo

I do! freehand masterpiece!

MokoMai is awesome!

Reply to: Mokomae Tattoo
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Hanga Roa
Recent Conversations