We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is the Beach front good for swimming?

Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
is the Beach front good for swimming?

Was also planning of going to panglao. But anyone can tell me if the beach front is good for swimming?

11 replies to this topic
Puerto Galera...
Level Contributor
5,489 posts
29 reviews
1. Re: is the Beach front good for swimming?

from google maps - judge for yourself

https://www.google.com.ph/maps/@9.5482828,123.7726619,3a,75y,112.63h,87.54t/data=!3m8!1e1!3m6!1sAF1QipNmr-sygPhfWpQzYxn4A4OjhBWQHiV3qY3P9tGy!2e10!3e11!6shttps:%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipNmr-sygPhfWpQzYxn4A4OjhBWQHiV3qY3P9tGy%3Dw203-h100-k-no-pi-0-ya210.38277-ro0-fo100!7i8704!8i2688?hl=en

copy and paste the link then using mouse or finger navigate your way from one end of the beach to the other ( will take a day !)

Edited: 03 February 2018, 17:51
Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: is the Beach front good for swimming?

I am more interested with the situation of the beach. For example like in boracay. Its nice to swim out there except for the algae

Leyte Island...
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
11,966 posts
53 reviews
3. Re: is the Beach front good for swimming?

Panglao island is a fairly large island with at least 50 kilometres (30 miles) of coastline.

Is there a specific section of that coastline you would like to know about?

I have swum at Alona beach and in the sea beside the Bohol Bee Farm. I have also swum in the small lake inside the Hinagdanan Cave.

My favourite is swimming inside the Hinagdanan Cave. Bohol Bee Farm only has beach at low tide. At High tide you swim off a wooden deck. At Alona beach, you have to be wary of what the boats are doing.

melbourne
Level Contributor
3,382 posts
62 reviews
4. Re: is the Beach front good for swimming?

As per the previous posters - which particular Panglao Island beach are you referring to?

I've been to Dumaluan Beach, but I haven't swum there. The beach was very wide with a shallow gradient, I'm not sure how far from the shore you would need to go before you could swim comfortably.

I have swum at Alona Beach (a pre-breakfast swim when the resort's pool was closed for maintenance) and also dived from there. As Big Jim suggests, you need to be aware of boat movements in that area. Also, there is a little seagrass near the shore. The house reef is probably only about 25 meters from the shore at low tide.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
3,174 posts
81 reviews
5. Re: is the Beach front good for swimming?

Agree with Gregs3071 , Alona Beach has a steeper gradient & is better for swimming , but there are so many pumpboats moving around this beachfront..

Dumaluan Beach has a much more gentle gradient & you need to walk far out to swim... or u can just wallow around like i sometimes do..

But there are very little pumpboats in this area , thus much more safer for swimming..

At High tide , it's really lovely to swim at Dumaluan Beach...

Cheers

Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
6. Re: is the Beach front good for swimming?

Alona beach especially. Okay that sounds good. I am just in particular with the situation. Our first option was boracay since we had no problem with the beach(well partly the algae) but over all it was “swimmable” for us since we enjoy spending time at the beach. But on the other hand we also want to explore new place so i want to know if the alona beach is similar to what boracay has to offer.thank you

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
3,174 posts
81 reviews
7. Re: is the Beach front good for swimming?

Dumaluan beach has a more gentle slope gradient than Station 1 , 2 & 3 at White beach but has much lesser boats...

There are lesser pumpboats at both ends of Alona Beach , especially the Bohol Divers Resort end & beyond.

It's a shorter length of beach compared to Boracay'a White Beach but just take a look at either end... also dependent if Henann Resort has been booked out by the big Package Tourist Groups from China(then the beach at this end will be noisy & packed)...

If u are still not too safisfied about the conditions , take a short habal habal or tricycle ride to the long stretch of Dumaluan Beach in the afternoon ..

Perhaps pay for the Day entrance fees of the resorts here & have some beverages & a swim...

Cheers

Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
8. Re: is the Beach front good for swimming?

Thank you. Our main purpose is to really enjoy swimming at the beach. So we will just have to see for ourselves. Thank you again

1 post
9. Re: is the Beach front good for swimming?

I was there a few years ago, nice clean water, don't step into the weedy areas as they have lots of spiny sea urchins which hurt when stood on.(experienced this)

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
3,174 posts
81 reviews
10. Re: is the Beach front good for swimming?

I always wear sandals with heel straps when i am in the sea... even when i'm not in the Philippines...

Protecting my feet is my priority!!

Reply to: is the Beach front good for swimming?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Panglao Island