We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Defrauded with the help of Commonwealth Bank of Australia

Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Defrauded with the help of Commonwealth Bank of Australia

After booking a room from a rental website (cushybnb.com), I made a money transfer to the “owner” of the place into an account with the Commonwealth Bank of Australia. Very soon, after reading posts on TripAdvisor and other sites, I found out that I had fallen victim to a scam. I tried to stop the transaction being completed, but the Commonwealth Bank of Australia answered that “unfortunately CBA is not in a position to assist you”, and recommended me to contact the “Financial Ombudsman Service” (no help there either). In other words, mind my own business, not theirs.

Don’t think wishfully: Once you fall victim to a scam in which a bank is involved and should be accountable, you are on your own. Banks like the Commonwealth Bank of Australia will side with their customers. Never mind those customers are fraudsters. They don’t care.

76 replies to this topic
Edinburgh
Level Contributor
9,717 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Defrauded with the help of Commonwealth Bank of Australia

Well first off, you can’t contact the recipient bank directly as they have no idea who you are. If you want to try to recall a payment, you need to do that through your own bank who in turn contact the other bank. They will/can only return the funds if they are still in the account. Often with scams they are immediately withdrawn. It’s not a case of CBA helping to defraud you but not being able to help Undo your mistake.

The time to red reviews etc is before booking. Paying by bank transfer is often a red flag.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
12,180 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Defrauded with the help of Commonwealth Bank of Australia

Title of post should read ...

Defrauded with the help of me reading reviews after instead of before

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
15,878 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Defrauded with the help of Commonwealth Bank of Australia

Sorry this happened to you, but the bank didn't help to scam you.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
90 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Defrauded with the help of Commonwealth Bank of Australia

The bank had nothing to do with the scam.... you made what you thought was a legitimate payment to a legitimate person / business... then found out YOU made the mistake by not doing research and want the bank on the other end to be responsible...

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,731 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Defrauded with the help of Commonwealth Bank of Australia

I'm sorry that this happened to you and it happens all the time to people who are looking for a good deal. It can be Australian or Austrian, all the same.

Just think of it this way. If you give some cash to your neighbour John to give to his friend James who is then suppose to pass that on to a stranger sitting in a bus stop. 2 days later you want your money back. Do you think James is going to give you anything back? No, the transaction is done and James has fulfilled his role. What happened to your money and the stranger is none of their business. No bank in the world would accept liability.

That is why we suggest only deal with people who accept credit card or PayPal. They actually have consumer protection in place.

Blue Mountains...
Level Contributor
743 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Defrauded with the help of Commonwealth Bank of Australia

I'm sorry but the only bank with any obligation to you is the one that has you as a customer, and that is not the CBA.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
3,364 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Defrauded with the help of Commonwealth Bank of Australia

I hope for your sake the Commonwealth Bank is not at all litigious. Their reputation is a sensitive area at the moment.

All the best.

Edited: 14 May 2018, 08:53
South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
29,401 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Defrauded with the help of Commonwealth Bank of Australia

The direct deposit thing was your mistake. And where is the cushybnb website now?

But I'm sympathetic. It's everybody's fundamental right to post on the internet when they have made a mistake so that people can point out that they've made a mistake.

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,580 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Defrauded with the help of Commonwealth Bank of Australia

Go to the police. You have been robbed, and you have the account details of the person who robbed you.

The bank should give the details to the police. The CBA don't hold anonymous accounts. This isn't the wild west - and these guys shouldn't be free to scam with impunity.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
29,401 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Defrauded with the help of Commonwealth Bank of Australia

I'll answer my own question: here is the registry listing for cushybnb.com: https://www.whois.com/whois/cushybnb.com

In the first instance I would question the wisdom of using a third-party non .com.au address to book accommodation in Australia. And I would certainly avoid a website registered in Panama.

Reply to: Defrauded with the help of Commonwealth Bank of Australia
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions