We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Captiva or Key West or Marco Island?

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Captiva or Key West or Marco Island?

Hello -- two families with young children are venturing down to Florida for Spring Break 2012 and need to decide on a place to stay for the week. We have been to Captiva and loved it, but have never seen Key West or Marco Island. We fell in love with Captiva's charm, clean, white sandy beaches. We love shelling, parasailing, swimming in the ocean/gulf, quiet/quaint streets, etc. Which of the three is better???

Belvidere, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Family Travel
Level Contributor
1,204 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Captiva or Key West or Marco Island?

In my opinion Key West is not really a place for families. It is a fun place for adults, but there is a limited amount of things to do with children and there is only a small beach at the state park. I have not been to Marco, but it would most likely be a bit more commercial than Captiva and more crowded as well. It all depends on when you are going. From your list of things you love I think Captiva is still your best bet of the three places you listed. You might also consider Ft. Myers Beach. It is a good place for families with the pier and Times Square and a lot of walkable places to eat and shop.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
12,580 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Captiva or Key West or Marco Island?

From the title I thought this would be an easy question with Captiva as the answer but since you have been to Captiva perhaps you'd now like an alternate. Like the previous poster I wouldn't suggest Key West. Good luck making your decision and just remember to enjoy a new place (if that's what you decide) for it's own attributes. Happy trails.

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,073 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Captiva or Key West or Marco Island?

Love, love Captiva for families. But I am biased, as I spent many Easter vacations in the Fort Myers/Sanibel/Capitva areas. It is one of my favorite spots.

I have been to Marco Island with my husband. We didn't like it at all. Too developed, too many high rise condos, just not my style. Agree too with the Key West comments.

Why don't you post to the Florida forum?

Kansas City, MO
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Captiva or Key West or Marco Island?

I agree with other posters that Key West would not be the ideal place for a family vacation with young children.

Marco Island is beautiful and pricey.

Try looking into Sanibel Island/Ft Myers Beach, St Pete Beach is also fun for families. St John's Pass is very close to the beach and has a lot for the family to do.

If you remember the movie "Summer Rental" with John Candy, lots of those scenes were filmed around St Pete Beach and St John's Pass.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
12,580 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Captiva or Key West or Marco Island?

Now that we are offering different ideas then, for families and with family type pricing take a look at Clearwater Beach. Drop back and mention what you choose if you think of it.

6. Re: Captiva or Key West or Marco Island?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 November 2012, 15:20