We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Destination ideas for multi-generational travel in August

Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
9 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Destination ideas for multi-generational travel in August

I'll be traveling with my two teens and their 70-something grandparents. All are experienced travelers. We are departing from the Northeast. Any ideas for something that will be interesting for all?

Belvidere, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Family Travel
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Destination ideas for multi-generational travel in August

Is cruising an option? Cruises really cater to a multi-generational clientele. There would be a lot of fun things for your teens and their grandparents to do. There are a lot of interesting itineraries available. Depending on your finances and time availability you might consider a Mediterranean cruise or even a cruise through the Panama Canal. Your local travel agent could help you identify what type of cruise you'd like and what would fit your budget.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Syria, Aleppo, Jordan
Level Contributor
7,863 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Destination ideas for multi-generational travel in August

Somewhere interesting for all

Damascus, the capital city of Syria, offers both the solo traveler, groups and families, a taste of all the delights of the mysterious Middle East. The old walled city of Damascus is older than time itself. Every footstep you take within its ancient walls is a step trodden by biblical characters many centuries before you. Intricately decorated doors and gateways open into fragrant gardens and glimpses of family life are revealed for all to see as you make your way to one of the historic sights.

If you love silence, Damascus has places of quiet reflection in her many churches, mosques, monasteries and parks. Outside these, however, the city itself vibrates with the very sounds and rhythm of daily life. Donkeys meander along the laneways carrying cartloads of watermelons for you to sample, corn on the husk is boiled in giant cauldrons as you walk by. The variety is endless. The sellers cry out their wares and this all adds to the charm and atmosphere.

Eating meals in a former palace is part of the regular dining experience. The loveliest eating places are the restored old Arabic houses with large central courtyards citrus trees, vines, and famous Damascene Jasmine flowers. These houses used to be palaces from the Ottoman, French and Mamloukan eras where the rich and famous used to live. Food is very affordable in Damascus and an entire family, vegetarians in particular, will easily find something to their taste. In Damascus restaurants and eateries are plentiful and serve a large range of Middle Eastern food and wine at its best.

Syria offers a dry, warm climate in spring and a hot summer which brings a melting pot of travelers from all over the world to experience the famous hospitality. The most popular leisure activities appear to be to hang out at venues like the many taverns, bars, cafes, and wine house, or just to enjoy a falafel roll or a shawarma, a visit to a Hammam (Turkish bath) enjoy a Dervish show. or listen to the Hakawati (story teller)at Nofara cafe.

You can stay at famous Boutique Hotels (Hotels De Charme) or, also in the Old City, old houses converted to 4/5 star special hotels. These are the buzz word at the moment. You can spend a few days strolling around in the old walled city if you choose to. The whole wall of Damascus is so valuable to history it is heritage listed by UNESCO.

Apart from Damascus you can visit and walk amongst the ancient ruins of Palmyra, Bosra, Krak De Chevaliers, Aleppo, Tartous the Med beach and many other cities.

If you have 2-3 weeks you can also visit neighbouring countries like Jordan with famous Petra and the Dead Sea and of course Baalbeck and Beirut in Lebanon.

Travel by car from Damascus is only a 2 hour drive to Amman or Beirut.

Here is a taste of Syria by Holly Morris

pilotguides.com/tv_shows/…syria.php

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Destination ideas for multi-generational travel in August

Your question should really be more specific to get better help.

Do you want to leave the US?

Do you want to drive somewhere from NJ?

What kind of travel experience are you used to? Adventuring? Traveling Europe? How high a level of creature comfort do you need?

What's your budget, roughly?

How long do you have?

Sounds like a great family experience, and you've done a lot just to get everyone signed up for it.

In my travels with teens, I like to find local events to keep them entertained. Something like Bumbershoot, a music festival in Seattle, or Evel Knevel Days in Butte, MT. I like to find activities where they can be cut loose to see and explore without always having to be towed around behind the old folks looking at that gorgeous view. Gorgeous views sustain a teen for less than .5 seconds, in my experience.

How about recruiting them to help select your destination? No doubt they are quite skilled at internet searching and can look for fun festivals on city calendars if you give them some guidance and a starting point.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,254 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Destination ideas for multi-generational travel in August

I'd look for a resort setting with organized activities that the kids can go and do without the oldies. Everyone who's been to Cuba loves it and there are lots of AI resorts there.

Hartsdale, NY
Level Contributor
177 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Destination ideas for multi-generational travel in August

How about a barge tour in France? Too boring for the teenagers? I want to avoid a regular cruise and think that Syria is too big a trip for my 89-year-old mom.

6. Re: Destination ideas for multi-generational travel in August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2012, 08:18