We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family Vacation Next Summer

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Family Vacation Next Summer

We are planning a family vacation next summer (last summer before daughter leaves for college) and are looking at options. Right now we are thinking a Caribbean location but are open to other suggestions. A little about us:

1. There will be four of us going....my wife and I, our 11 year old son and 17 year old daughter.

2. Looking for a location with a pool and beach nearby (tropical).

3. We are a fairly active family. Would like to try snorkeling. Also, would be interested in biking/hiking, horseback riding, jet skis, etc.

4. Don't necessarily need the place we stay to be on the beach (would be nice though) but definitely within a couple of blocks.

5. Safety is VERY important.

6. We don't have a set budget yet. We don't want to skimp but also don't want to spend extra if we don't have to (bang for the buck).

Thanks in advance for suggestions!

16 replies to this topic
Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
9,204 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family Vacation Next Summer

I think the Hawaiian Islands might be nice. Safer than several Caribbean Islands, passports not required and multiple islands to choose from. There are some beautiful islands and condominiums to choose from.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Family Vacation Next Summer

Thanks! I forgot to mention we are located in the Midwest (United States). While Hawaii sounds very appealing, I would imagine the cost would rule it out (we wanted to keep cost somewhere in the $4-5k range for a week)?

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
9,204 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family Vacation Next Summer

I know there are some nice all-inclusive resorts in Mexico and Caribbean. I personally, am not big on many of these locations. Grand Cayman is a nice island and the waters are beautiful.

We travel alot with our grown children and grandchildren and we all love to cruise. The meals are taken care of, entertainment, many activities for all ages and accommodations. Most of our tours are planned by me, with private drivers, if needed. I can post on CC and add others, if needed for pricing. If the kids want to fish or hike, they do.

In June, all 13 of us sailed on Allure of the Seas and is was a great family vacations. This is our 2nd.

NY
Level Contributor
2,365 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family Vacation Next Summer

Prices are great in mexico but you said safety was a high priority which is an issue right now. You could look at sandos playacar which then allows you to visit sandos caracol. Jamaica is safer imo but more costly. Check out iberostar rose hall suites, jewel runaway bay. Riu Ochis rios or hilton rose hall. We also stayed at holiday inn resort which was great when the kids were little but the 17 year old might be bored. I don't know that I would go to the Caribbean in the summer?

Edited: 21 August 2018, 05:34
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Family Vacation Next Summer

Thanks! Is the skepticism for the Caribbean in summer due to hurricanes? We would be going in mid-July most likely.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
29,796 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family Vacation Next Summer

The Atlantic Hurricane /Tropical Storm Season runs June 1-November 30th, and affects the Gulf of Mexico, Caribbean Sea, and tropical Atlantic Ocean...

NY
Level Contributor
2,365 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family Vacation Next Summer

Just how hot it is in addition to hurricane/rainy season. I cant take that heat and would be in air conditioning all the time. I'm a wimp when it comes to extreme temps :)

Edited: 22 August 2018, 03:16
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
44,889 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family Vacation Next Summer

Does that budget include your flights? Or just your lodging and actual expenses while on island?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Family Vacation Next Summer

Thanks all! Budget includes flights. I understood that July is hurricane season but I was under the impression that the majority of hurricanes hit in August/September.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
224 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Family Vacation Next Summer

You might look into Belize. The snorkeling is phenomenal there. And there are tons of options for land-based activities (jungle hikes, canoeing, cave tubing, wildlife, ruins). Prices probably aren't quite as cheap as Mexico, but less than a lot of the Caribbean (of course, that's dependent on where you stay for any of those choices). It's been years since we went - so I can't recommend specifics. But you might look into what's available.

Also, in the Caribbean, you might look at St. Lucia. It has a good mix of water and land based activities there. The major drawback is that the snorkeling isn't fantastic there (still probably worthwhile for day). But the country itself is lush and beautiful. We took our kids several years ago and had a great time. Unfortunately, the resort we stayed at is no longer in business. I do know that there are several resorts geared toward families there, though.

Reply to: Family Vacation Next Summer
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted