We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family friendly resort in Western Mexico or Hawaii?

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Family friendly resort in Western Mexico or Hawaii?

We are looking for an extremely family friendly resort in either Western Mexico or Hawaii for next summer's vacation. We will have two 6 1/2 year olds. It can be either all-inclusive or not but must have lots of activities for kids. Some of the ones I've been looking at are the Hyatt Ziva Puerta Vallarta, Grand Wailea Maui, Disney's Aulani and the Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki. I would love any other recommendations or any thoughts on the ones listed.

Thanks so much!

10 replies to this topic
West Midlands...
Level Contributor
4 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family friendly resort in Western Mexico or Hawaii?

I would definitely try Hawai instead of West Mexico as the Hawai hotels are more family friendly and Hawai is more enjoyable for families. I don’t have anywhere in particular that I would suggest to stay in Hawai but the ones you have looked at are very family friendly. Especially the Disney Aulani. I hope this helped.

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
17,502 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family friendly resort in Western Mexico or Hawaii?

I think either location would work out just fine for you.

Mexican resorts and hotels are very family friendly, certainly no less than Hawaii. In fact, Mexicans are so family oriented that when out and about in town, you will find that you are waited on even better than people who do not have children with them.

We started taking our children to Puerto Vallarta when they were 3 and 8 years old, after going to Hawaii several times, which was so expensive. My children loved Puerto Vallarta so much, that my youngest just got married there.

Take a look at the Melia and Now Amber in Puerto Vallarta. Melia is good for the younger children, and Now Amber has activities for all ages. Another good resort for families is Velas Vallarta.

I can't comment on Hyatt Ziva, so if I was you I would private message one of the reviewers who stayed there with children, or go to the Puerto Vallarta forum and post a question about the kids club at Hyatt Ziva.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family friendly resort in Western Mexico or Hawaii?

The main advantage I can see Mexico having is that the flight time will be halved which might be useful with kids.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
32,712 posts
6,408 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family friendly resort in Western Mexico or Hawaii?

In Maui, the Walt Disney Aulani is a good resort for what you are looking for.

https://www.disneyaulani.com/

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
44,890 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family friendly resort in Western Mexico or Hawaii?

Correction - the Aulani is on the island of Oahu, not Maui. I have some co-workers that take their kids annually.

I have done family vacations in both Mexico and Hawaii. Are you the type that will stay at the resort the entire time or go off adventuring? If you want to just stay at a resort, I would choose Mexico because their AI's are known for that type of service. If you want to explore an entire island, then visit Hawaii. I think both places are family friendly, though I would give the edge to Mexico for being even more so. :)

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family friendly resort in Western Mexico or Hawaii?

Thank you all for your assistance. I think we're looking for someplace where we would explore some but our primary base would be the resort. Mu kids love the beach and pool so water activities are bit. They're probably not as interested walking around quaint areas/shopping/museums/etc.

I appreciate your help!

Edited: 13 August 2018, 13:49
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Family friendly resort in Western Mexico or Hawaii?

Club Med (there are many) is a great option for families as they have tons of activity inclusions and they have "baby clubs" and kids clubs, to allow mom and dad to have some time to themselves.

Another brand to look at would be AM Resorts. They have Now and Dreams properties and are all 4.5-5 star all inclusives. I've been to a few and never been disappointed with quality, service, food etc. Family friendly and not to unfriendly to most budgets.

Personally I recommend an all inclusive over Hawaii mostly due to cost and ease of travel for families.

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family friendly resort in Western Mexico or Hawaii?

I will definitely look at AM Resorts as well. Thank you!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
44,890 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Family friendly resort in Western Mexico or Hawaii?

Have you decided whether Mexico or Hawaii? Because once you have, I would post on those specific forums for help with your resort, etc. :)

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
3,508 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Family friendly resort in Western Mexico or Hawaii?

Marival Residences in Nuevo Vallarta is excellent for a family vacation. We had a 2-bedroom penthouse with the pool that was gorgeous. My kids absolutely loved ending the night in the plunge pool every night. And it was very affordable! They include an excursion in your rate (or at least they did when we went). So we swam with the sea lions and dolphins - probably my daughter's favorite travel experience. Just be sure you book the Residences instead of the Resort. There's a rate difference but it's so worth the extra. If we lived on the west coast, we would visit regularly.

Reply to: Family friendly resort in Western Mexico or Hawaii?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted