We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

UK/Ireland or Hawaii with kids?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
233 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
UK/Ireland or Hawaii with kids?

Really stuck here -have done the research, but want to turn to TA. Kids 13 and 6 - thinking either 5 nights in London, train/drive through to Holyhead, ferry to Dublin, 5 nights there then home OR 5 nights Oahu, 5 nights Maui, then home. What would you do and why????

17 replies to this topic
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
44,889 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: UK/Ireland or Hawaii with kids?

What time of year are you wanting to do this? Presume either location is a first trip... are the kids equally excited? :)

Edited: 09 July 2018, 15:48
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
233 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: UK/Ireland or Hawaii with kids?

Next summer. Kids will be excited for both.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
44,889 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: UK/Ireland or Hawaii with kids?

I would guess that the UK/Ireland trip will be busier . . . you will be going here and there, which sounds like great fun, but it won't be like beach time in Hawaii. Not say that is all you can/will do in Hawaii . . . those tend to be somewhat busy vacations as there are so many activities you can do, but generally in Hawaii you stay on one place on one island, so you aren't moving around as much as you would in the UK/Ireland. Something to think about as you ponder which location - does your family have a busy life where a few weeks chilling would be most welcome? Or like to be busy exploring? That might help. I haven't been to the UK or Ireland yet, but would love to go. My kiddos have been to Hawaii a few times, and we had probably some of our best family vacations there. :)

New Jersey
Level Contributor
300 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: UK/Ireland or Hawaii with kids?

Another factor to consider is flight time, time zone change, jet lag with the children. What is your family willing to deal with? Almost 6 hours to the islands or 10 hours to the UK?

I have never done either with children, but I know mine would choose the Hawaii trip first. They are into the warmer temperatures, beach, outdoor adventure, hiking, climbing, exploring in a tropical paradise.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
233 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: UK/Ireland or Hawaii with kids?

Good points all. My kids would love the tropical paradise, on the one hand, but we also just returned from Costa Rica, another tropical paradise. Want to explore, learn, see new things, but not a million hours in a car. Want to include things that would be enjoyable to both kids (6 year old being more challenging). Not looking at zoos, movies, things we could do at home. More thoughts? I really appreciate it!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
44,889 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: UK/Ireland or Hawaii with kids?

I had the same age spread when I took my kids to Kauai, our first visit to Hawaii. I was a single parent at the time - the kids were 6 and 13, and it was one of our first vacations not visiting family, which made that a bit different. We didn't have a lot of $$, so we didn't do lots of paid excursions, but we spent 16 days in paradise - swimming, snorkeling, hiking, driving around exploring. It really was one of the best vacations ever! They talked about much longer than any Disney type trip . . . personally, I would save UK for when your 6 yr old is a bit older, but then it is tough with the teen, as they start summer jobs, etc., so I understand your dilemma. Good luck! I think either could be a win.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
31,940 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: UK/Ireland or Hawaii with kids?

Its really a case of which one first? They both sound great. We did UK/Scotland last year with our 14 & 16 year olds and it was fantastic!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,378 posts
1,071 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: UK/Ireland or Hawaii with kids?

I'd vote Hawaii.I'd rather be there if I was a kid definitely.

NJ
Level Contributor
421 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: UK/Ireland or Hawaii with kids?

We had a fabulous two weeks exploring Ireland, mostly staying away from cities and focusing on castles, ruins, small towns, and nature. Didn't go to Dublin or Belfast, but loved Kilkenney, Sligo, Ennis, and Kilarney. We also stayed in Ballymoney in Northern Ireland, near the Dark Hedges and the amazing Giant's Causeway. We had 3-4 days in each location so didn't feel too rushed. Combining Ireland with London would make for a great vacation.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
233 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: UK/Ireland or Hawaii with kids?

Thanks!

Reply to: UK/Ireland or Hawaii with kids?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted