We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Zealand and Australia

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
New Zealand and Australia

Hello!

We are a family of 4 planning to take 8 weeks off work /school and travel to New Zealand and Australia, (Nov/Dec/Jan). Our children are 6,7. We love nature and wildlife and also the beach! We are planning to take about 3-4 weeks in NZ, start in north island and then doing the south island on a campervan. The remaining time we will stay in Australia, but would like advice on where to go!! Should we stay longer in Australia? Would love to go to Darwin but i ve been told it's too wet at that time of the year...Any itineray suggestions? PLaces we can't miss? Tips?

Thanks for your help! ;)

Teresa

2 replies to this topic
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
29,268 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Zealand and Australia

Hi Teresa.................If you post directly to the actual Tripadvisor Destination Forums for Australia and New Zealand (like you did last year for Norway when you were looking for travel advice about there), then the local volunteer communities and Destination Experts, who answer travel questions on those forums daily, will see your questions there and reply..They dont usually respond here

This family forum is a general, " travel with kids topics" foru, not a destination specific forum - You can see the Forum Intro here-

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g1-i965…

Good luck with your travel research/planning

Edited: 15 May 2018, 09:26
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
30,167 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Zealand and Australia

Ok, so January is school summer holidays down there, so things are going to be crowded. I completely agree that you should be in the south of Australia at that time of the year. Its peak stinger season in the tropics and between them and the crocodiles, you can't go near the beach (a bit of an exaggeration, but you don't want to be in the water with children up north during stinger season. An adult can probably survive a sting, but not young kids).

My family just loved Philip Island, although that's a bit early for the penguins I think. Seeing wild penguins is definitely a highlight though. Sydney and environs would be hot, but bareable. Jenolan Caves is fabulous (well, I think so) and there's a platypus in the pond if you are there early enough (we got photos!!!) Oh, and you MUST go and see the Gippsland worms outside Melbourne. I'm not kidding.

So many great destinations in the south, and take a serious look at Tasmania. That will be MORE than enough without going to the wet, steamy north.

Reply to: New Zealand and Australia
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted