We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel for a few months with teenager in Europe

Ireland
Level Contributor
53 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Travel for a few months with teenager in Europe

Hi all, I'm hoping to travel Feb-May 2019 in Europe with my 16 year old. As we are looking for warmer and drier weather than Ireland at that time of year thinking about Spain and Portugal but open to all suggestions. Hopefully visit places like Lisbon, Porto, Algarve, Cadiz, Seville and Barcelona but that's as far as I've got. Will probably rent for a month in 2/3 places and relax. Both interested in culture, history, food, people and water sports. Any suggestions appreciated. Will be visiting individual forums once itinerary identified. Any and all suggestions very welcome. TIA.

2 replies to this topic
kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
14,403 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel for a few months with teenager in Europe

As Portugal is Atlantic facing, you're more likely to encounter wet weather in early spring, so I'd suggest leaving the Algarve, Lisbon & Porto for April inwards. Porto is quite small, & on a river rather than the coast, & subject to river mists. Needless to say...excellent local wine! .

Seville is a very good hub for train travel as well as being a lovely city too. Lots to do & see and very walkable. If you can get there for Easter, you'll benefit from all the Semana festivities, which are quite a spectacle. It was also one of th few cities where I felt a HOHO bus was good value. There's also a Seville Cards which combines local transport (very good) with free entry to some attractions/museums etc.

From Seville you could plan day trips (by train) to Cordoba and Granada. It would be worth getting tickets for The Alhambra in advance, as it would save you the queue.

Although not on your list, I'd suggest visiting Valencia too. Again another small city, loads to do, and the relatively new Art & Science complex is sited on a massive reclaimed river bed, astonishing architecture, with beautiful parkland walks.

It's your trip, not mine, but I'd suggest starting as far north as possible and then going south. As Barcelona is Med facing, it's more protected from rain and will definitely be sunnier than Ireland in February.

Please note, Barcelona is also a major business capital, so it's useful to know which district you'd want to base yourself in. There has been substantial discussion on unlicensed AirBnB rentals, and the local authorities may have begun enforcing local legislation. It's probably best to ask about this on the Barcelona forum, as locals would have up to date info.

For train travel anywhere in the world, I'd signpost you to www.seat61.com It's user friendly, a good read and has links to all the individual national train companies.

Going so early in the year has many benefits, including lower prices and fewer crowds, but prices and availability will peak over the Easter holidays and the late May bank holiday (where UK schools break up for a week)

Happy travels.

Ireland
Level Contributor
53 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel for a few months with teenager in Europe

Thanks for all that info - much appreciated.

Yes I had intended to fly into Barcelona and home from Lisbon all going well! Lived in Barcelona for a while in the 90s so dying to see developments there. Will do some research on Valencia.

Definitely planning on Seville as I have a rowing mad teenager and she wants to do a rowing course there so will probably base ourselves here or somewhere on the outskirts for a month or so.

Once again thanks for the suggestions.

Reply to: Travel for a few months with teenager in Europe
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted