We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel insurance safety

marsascala
Level Contributor
118 posts
Save Topic
travel insurance safety

we are coming to london in may and have just insured ourselves. do we leave or insurance document at home or take it with us. i was think that if our luggage did not arrive or our bags got stolen and we had our document in anyone of these bags etc. then it would be lost. please advise us. thank you.

Westerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travel insurance safety

I buy my travel insurance on line and only print the page, usually the first one, that has the pertinent info on it. The rest of the document can be printed if you need it when you get home. It's always a good idea to make copies of your documents, passports etc and keep them with you or in your carry on along with phone numbers that you may need to call.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,714 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travel insurance safety

I always bring a copy of the insurance policy # and the phone no. for it with me.

You should NEVER pack important documents or meds or jewelry or ANYTHING valuable in your checked luggage!! ALL of that should be with you in your purse/carryon etc.

Definitely make copies of your passports and keep them in a separate compartment from the actual passport. Keep ALL with you on the plane!

marsascala
Level Contributor
118 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: travel insurance safety

thanks dav4844 good advice

marsascala
Level Contributor
118 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: travel insurance safety

thank you Rif M. i will make copies. as what you said makes so much sense.

Portland, Oregon
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: travel insurance safety

I am planning a trip for my mothers 85th Birthday and, have no Idea about travel Insurance. Is it really needed and are there different types of travel Insurance you can purchase that cover different things. any one who can help me with these questions would be greatly appericated. Thanks Janet

Portland, Oregon
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: travel insurance safety

Hi, I am planning a trip for my mother 85th birthday, and I know nothing about travel Insurance is it really needed, what things does it cover, and is there different kinds of travel insurance for seniors that may cover special things they may need. can anyone give me some information on there experiences will travel Insurance. Thanks JaneT R

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,806 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: travel insurance safety

We always make copies of passport and travel insurance documents. We usually carry a copy each (hubby and I) and leave a copy with one of our children. That way, if we both lose the information, we can access it with just a telephone call home.

Janet R: I would definitely recommend insurance for your mother. You just never know......Sometimes the insurance company want to know of pre-existing medical conditions but unless you plan to take her bungee jumping or ski-ing, it shouldn't be too much of a problem (other than the higher premium cost)!

Portland, Oregon
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: travel insurance safety

Thanks it a good Idea to make copies of the important documents needed when traveling, and keeping them with you and not checking them with the rest of your luggage. having the Insurance papers with you all the time is definely a great idea incase they are ever needed, thanks Janet R

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: travel insurance safety

Alway take out travel insurance. Anything can happen on a trip,- sometimes minor losses, sometimes the whole luggage can go missing!

Not to mention accidents or sickness which may require some expensive treatments. There are also often flight delays which may not be covered by the airlines and all sorts of emergencies may arise which can cost the traveller a lot of money! Shop around for the best cover,- many companies do not insure older people however for health cover.

Edited: 14 March 2012, 23:01
London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
9,821 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: travel insurance safety

About 20 years ago, on holiday in California, I hit a tree while sledding and did a serious injury to my back.

The insurance company flew out a nurse to bring me home to London. I was collected from my mother's flat by ambulance, flown back to the UK on a stretcher across the top of 4 seats (with a curtain around me) and then delivered by ambulance to my own flat.

If my travelling companion had not taken out travel insurance I would still be paying for all this.

I now get an annual policy through Age UK. Even with my full disclosure about existing medical conditions, it would be worth the cost at twice the price.