We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mobile Phones

London, United...
9 posts
Save Topic
Mobile Phones

Hi Everyone,

Not long to go! What are people doing with using mobile phones during the world cup? Any tips or info? Or where to look?

Finding Airbnb's and getting everywhere would be so much easier with access to a phone.

9 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
619 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Mobile Phones

Choosing a prepaid simcard from any of the big three Russian providers (Megafon, MTS, Beeline) that best suits my needs (data or data+phone), and will check the deals in the week prior to the Cup to see if the deals have changed).

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
23 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mobile Phones

i have t-mobile and its worked in every other country ive been to, lets hope russia is the same.

London, United...
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Mobile Phones

With the checking of the deals, where are you looking? Was my understanding that you buy them in Russian Airports/Malls etc.

Thanks

Level Contributor
146 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Mobile Phones

Some mates who already traveled to Russia said that their Wi-Fi has a great covering, but, it only works for russian mobile numbers. I'll be buying a Russian SIM once I'm there.

Jakarta
Level Contributor
61,585 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mobile Phones

During the world cup Telco shops of all Russian mobile operators will be available in all airports ( on arrival) and train stations. Special sim+ data plans will be offered for the visitors and spectators.

London, United...
9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Mobile Phones

Thanks for the reply. Stupid question, but will it be simply the case of popping the Russian SIM card in my phone?

Canberra, ACT
Level Contributor
12 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mobile Phones

Buy a local SIM card. It is usually possible to buy them at airports with staff having sufficient English to help foreigners buy them. I am a regular visitor to Russia and always buy local (Moscow and St Petersburg) SIM cards. I have never had problems.

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
115 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Mobile Phones

>> Stupid question, but will it be simply the case of popping the Russian SIM card in my phone?

SIM-card has a universal form-factor: SIM + microSIM + nanoSIM. So yes, it will be simply.

Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Mobile Phones

Im coming from california...just found out I don't have to worry since I have T-mobile and my plan includes simple mobile. Unlimited text and data and phone calls for 20 cents a min.

Reply to: Mobile Phones
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions