We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passport validity

Jordan
Level Contributor
95 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Passport validity

Hi,

I am planning to visit Russia for the world cup in the first half of July, however, I noticed that my passport expires in the beginning of October. I read that your passport has to be valid for at least 6 months before traveling. Does anyone have any idea about this?

The thing is, it's a bit of a hassle for me to renew my passport since I live in another country and if I renew it I would need to apply for a new Fan ID, and maybe I would need to change the flights tickets too?

Thanks

21 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Passport validity

Yes the rule is 6 months, that's pretty clear.

Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Passport validity

From FAN id Q&A : In case a FAN ID is used as an entry/exit document for the 2018 FIFA World Cup™, the foreign citizen’s passport must be valid as of the moment of entry and for the duration of stay in the Russian Federation. Timatic appears to confirm this also .

Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Passport validity

See this thread : https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g1-i…

Jordan
Level Contributor
95 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Passport validity

Thanks Marks, I guess I have to apply for a new one to be on the safe side. I just checked with Aeroflot, it seems it's quite easy to change the passport number online so my only worry is to receive the new Fan ID in time! Thanks

Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Passport validity

@ziadjordan No . I would not apply for a new passport yours is ok for the World Cup . I would call Aeroflot if you are flying with them just to ease your mind . If they are unsure tell them to check their database . They wont allow you to fly if they think Russia will refuse you entry . You can check yourself here : all airlines use this database .

https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/RU-Russian-…

Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Passport validity

Looks like I was wrong. Sorry guys.

Jordan
Level Contributor
95 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Passport validity

No worries Normal M.

I'm a bit confused now, according to the link Mark provided and the text from the Fan ID Q&A, it seems to be fine, but anyways I will have to renew it sooner or later so I'm not sure whether to do it now or to leave it after the world cup. Anyways, thanks a lot guys.

Jakarta
Level Contributor
61,585 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Passport validity

@ZiadJordan,

Just remember that your passport data must match the data in the fan ID, if you renew your passport you need to renew a fan ID too, as it's your visa to the country.

Jordan
Level Contributor
95 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Passport validity

Schonefeld: Thanks, yes, I am aware of that.

Jakarta
Level Contributor
61,585 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Passport validity

Oh, you are all good then. Happy planning!

Reply to: Passport validity
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions