We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Trip from Baltimore to Orlando FL

Rockville, Maryland
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Road Trip from Baltimore to Orlando FL

My husband and I are considering on taking a road trip (flights are too expensive right now for the 5 of us) with our three children (ages 17 - 11) mid August and wanted to know if anyone has done this? If so, when is the best time to get on the road? If you've taken this trip, please share your experiences. Thanks!

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Nassau
Level Contributor
4,637 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road Trip from Baltimore to Orlando FL

You will want to be on the road very early, to avoid the traffic in the Washington area, and the Washington to Richmond corridor, which is heavy.. Once past Richmond (take the 295 by-pass), you won't see alot of traffic anymore. Unfortunately, it's a long and boring trip. Not much to see, and don't bother stopping at "South of the Border" unless the kids are really insistent. The place is old, dated, and tired.

Have you given much thought to taking the Amtrak auto-train. It's a dedicated daily run from Lorton, Va (just south of Washington) to Sanford, Fla (just outside Orlando). Leaves at 4.00 p.m. and arrives just before 9.00 a.m. Saves 850 miles of driving. They put your car on a car carrier, and you ride either in coach, or you can book a private compartment for the family. Meals are included, and the food is very good. Kids love the experience. Your car is off-loaded and waiting for you at your destination. Worth looking into, perhaps for the return trip. Check the Amtrak website for more details.

Baltimore
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Road Trip from Baltimore to Orlando FL

Jennifer, I’ve driven up and down that route since the days when I-95 was only a glimmer in President Eisenhower’s eye.

Road trips are fun and a great way for families to bond and share experiences. Besides, you’re running out of time, at their ages, it won’t be long, they won’t want to be seen with you – you’re probably pushing your luck already.

Where in Baltimore? One route, you can take the BW Parkway, slide right into Kenilworth Avenue in the District down to the Anacostia Parkway and on to the new Wilson Bridge – you’ll be on the Washington Beltway which you take around to the famous mixing bowl at Springfield and then it’s I-95 all the way to Daytona Beach.

Or you could take 301 down through Southern Maryland. Not much city traffic, but boy do they have stoplights.

Now since you got kids, and going in August, destination Orlando, I’m figuring you got a couple weeks’ vacation and want to take the kids to Disney World, Epcot, etc. I’m figuring you want to spend about a week there and are thinking a couple days driving each way.

Let us know how close my guess is, and tell us some things on your minds about what you might enjoy and whether you just want to get there and back, or would consider vacationing and touring getting there and back. Either approach is perfectly fine. It only depends upon the kind of vacationing you guys might enjoy.

People can and do make it all in a non-stop trip. I’ve done it. Back in the day I hitchhiked it too many times to count – except I went on to Ft Lauderdale or Miami. Surely it would be a miserable mistake. You should stop someplace. Florence in South Carolina is nice. It’s about half way. [Tutman is correct: South of the Border is a joke]. If you don’t think you can get off to an early start, think about Florence.

If you can start early, especially if you can start really early, you might like a stop in Savannah. It’s a nice place to walk around. It’s not too far off the I-95. Driving straight through to Savannah requires almost 10 hours rolling time. So you wouldn’t make your overnight there unless you can be on the road about daybreak. If you did, you could then dawdle your way down to Orlando the next day.

I won’t bore your further. If you wanted to make getting there the vacation, I can offer ideas.

Edited: 01 June 2013, 08:25
3. Re: Road Trip from Baltimore to Orlando FL

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 June 2014, 14:16