We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eagle Creek HC 25" or EBags MotherLoad JR rolling duffle ...

california
Level Contributor
1,064 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Eagle Creek HC 25" or EBags MotherLoad JR rolling duffle ...

Hi TA friends,

I am in between these 2 luggages.....can you help me decide

*i need lightweight, but durable

*good warranty

*I bring back wine & perfume and things that can break, so im wondering if the EBags Rolling Duffle Bag will keep my stuff safe ...

Here is the EBAGS: 10.6 LBS

ebags.com/product/…

This is the EAGLE CREEK: 8.8 LBS

ebags.com/product/…

Thanks for any advise you can give me,

Yesi

New Brunswick
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, New Brunswick
Level Contributor
6,515 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eagle Creek HC 25" or EBags MotherLoad JR rolling duffle ...

Just looking at the specs the second one would be my pick. Have you looked in the luggage threads at top right? There are several on this topic.

I bring back balsamic vinigar and find it travels well if packed in ziplock bags and nestled in the center of the bag.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,329 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Eagle Creek HC 25" or EBags MotherLoad JR rolling duffle ...

Neither bag will keep your stuff safe if you don't pack it right. Personally I would save the $50 and go with the Ebags one - they make quality stuff, as the "349 of 362 (96%) reviewers would buy this again." shows. The other one looks good too, but only nine reviews.

I would not call either one "light" - wheels add weight. If you start loading up with liquids you will exceed the airline weight limits pretty quick. If you can live with a little less capacity and no wheels the regular weekender is great, and also has the benefit of being legal for in-cabin use, so less worry about stuff getting broken in the hold.

New Brunswick
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, New Brunswick
Level Contributor
6,515 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eagle Creek HC 25" or EBags MotherLoad JR rolling duffle ...

tev999 - the bag has to be used as a checked bag if one wishes to transport liquids but i agree that neither bag seems exactly light.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,185 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eagle Creek HC 25" or EBags MotherLoad JR rolling duffle ...

Im going to a Belize caye next month and know I want to bring rum back so even though I could go in a duffel bag, I'm bringing my 25" Eagle Creek Tarmac. Its not as hard sided as my ridiculously heavy Briggs & Riley bag, but doesnt weigh 15 lbs before you put anything in it either!

The Hovercraft looks like it improves upon the features I dont like about the Tarmac. The Tarmac is more like a book - 2 equal sides that fold together and it tapers at the top instead of maximizing space with a more square shape. The Hovercraft looks like you have 1 deeper compartment....

by the way - not to complicate your choice, but if I didnt have this reasonably new Eagle Creek 25" Tarmac, I would be looking at those new French bags that fold completely Lilvult or something like that? Magellans has them on sale. I havent seen one in person though and not sure how sturdy they would be for checking liquids back.

I came back from France in Oct. with more liquids than most people would ever pack (2 bottles of Champagne, 4 jars of mustard, 1 big bottle of nut oil, lbs of chocolate, sea salts, caramels, lentils and lots more!) - and my bag was 50 lbs when I checked it for the return flight with the bulky clothes and shoes I needed for October, but I had the same amount of clothes I would pack in a carryon - just needed the bigger bag to schlep back the food items! And, yes, it was worth it price-wise and quality-wise.

Mission, Canada
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, Mission
Level Contributor
9,095 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eagle Creek HC 25" or EBags MotherLoad JR rolling duffle ...

Go for the lighter bag, even if soft-sided, but pack appropriately to protect your internal belongings.

6. Re: Eagle Creek HC 25" or EBags MotherLoad JR rolling duffle ...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 May 2012, 16:17