We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with various trains (when to book)

Victoria, Minnesota
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Topic
Help with various trains (when to book)

I am doing the following trip in June 2012. Please help me decide which tickets I can/should purchase in advance, and which one's I can't or don't need to:

A) June 7: Brussels to Rothenburg Ob Der Tauber (6:25am - 12:49) purchasing from Bahn web site.

B) June 8: RODT to Munich (9:06am -11:51am) purchasing from Bahn web site.

C) June 10: Munich to Salzburg (7:27 - 8:57 or 8:27 - 10:09) purchasing from Bahn website.

D) June 11: Salzburg to Vienna (1:01pm - 3:44pm) purchasing on OBB or Bahn? (need advice here, maybe doesn't matter?).

Flying to Zurich on 13th with Airberlin.

E) June 13: After landing in Zurich - taking train to Lauterbrunnen (4:40 - 7:25pm) Purchasing on SBB.

F) June 15: Train from Lauterbrunnen to Lausanne (8:33 - 11:15am), then catching TGV Lyria from Lausanne to Dijon (12:22- 2:35) via SBB website - Any issues with this time table? 1 h between trains ok? It's the same station. Also need recommendation on purchasing TGV tix (where to buy, don't love the RailEurope idea).

G) June 15 - Dijon to Beaune (we are staying in Beaune. I believe I can grab these tix at the station in Dijon without probelm. It's only a 20 min train and they are frequent (please confirm).

H) June 18 - Beaune - Dijon - Brussels. Will buy Beaune to Dijon when I am there (I think?) (9:01 - 12:45 for Dijon - Brussels portion). TGV is my only option, but do I Book directly with TGV? I seem to get RailEurope and I know it costs more. Ideas?

**NOTE** I already know I'm crazy, so don't tell me that :)

I prefer to purchase in advance whenever possible.

Please advise on my questions for each leg. I believe I should at least book the Bahn trips 92 days in advance to get the best fares?

Thanks!

Edited: 23 February 2012, 04:07
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9,190 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with various trains (when to book)

@ck1999 (when to book)?

With Deutsche Bahn, the general rule is you can book 92 days in advance. In your case, that means the first sector can be booked on or about March 7th. Since there will be some regional trains involved, that guide of booking 92 days in advance should be okay. I have recently found out (I booked 3 sectors for my travels this May), that DBahn varies their prices between opening date (92 days), and 2 weeks after that. I could have saved about € 40 if I waited 2 weeks for my booking on ICE train (Hamburg to Copenhagen)

(Munich to Salzburg can be as cheap as € 19 booking 92 days ahead)

Salzburg to Vienna, you can book with OBB ( as cheap as € 19 travelling with Railjet), or with www.westbahn.at (€ 23.80). Note: don't buy it from DBahn, you won't get the discounted rate

Both Laussane to Dijon and Dijon to Brussels Zuid can be purchased from www.tgv-europe.com (DO NOT accept redirection to RailEurope, and specify ticket collection country as Australia for self print and ticket by mail, if you require the latter)

Victoria, Minnesota
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with various trains (when to book)

Thanks! I've always wondered about selecting another English speaking country in order to avoid redirection, but wasn't sure if there would be an issue processing a credit card, or collecting the tickets. So you are saying I can print at home with this option and use an American credit card?

Victoria, Minnesota
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with various trains (when to book)

Another question. On the TGV-Europe site, how do I select print at home? I was not given that option and had to select a country to collect them.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9,190 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with various trains (when to book)

You can certainly book and pay with your American credit card (selecting Australia, Antarctic as some has suggested here in TA), but whether they will offer print at home or delivery, that is something that I cannot confirm for sure. On some occasions (and I did query them via email), some tickets do not have that self print option, so I have had them mailed successfully to Australia. In your case, you can opt for pick up from SNCF office, if that self print option is not available.

Victoria, Minnesota
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with various trains (when to book)

If I select "Australia," will they mail them to me in the US?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9,190 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with various trains (when to book)

I am sure they will mail anywhere depending on your credit card details, but are you sure the print at home option does not come out? I will try doing a dummy booking, and let you know.

Victoria, Minnesota
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with various trains (when to book)

Thanks. The only option given was to have them mailed. I did an alternate search on the SBB site and was given an option to pickup at any Swiss station, so I may do that since will be in Switzerland for 2 nights and will be at several stations during my time.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9,190 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with various trains (when to book)

It appears that if I select delivery to another address, USA cannot be selected. Your best bet would be to collect the tickets in France, either from a machine or from an SNCF office.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,541 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with various trains (when to book)

A) Buy in advance with Deutsche Bahn.

B) Alter the trip. Rothenburg ob der Tauber dep 09:06 Munich arr 12:22. Just 2 changes of trains. And only regional trains with this connectioin. Thus you can use a Bayern Ticket. EUR 21 for 1 person. EUR 29 for 2-5 persons. This day ticket covers additionally all local public transport in Munich till 3am next day (S-Bahn, U-Bahn, trams and buses). Can be bought online (will be in the Savings Fares column) but you can buy it as well on spot from ticket machines.

C)+D)

Buy one ticket and add Salzburg Hbf as a stopover

DB timetable

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

Start: München Hbf

Destination: WIEN

Via: Salzburg Hbf (and give as stopover e.g. 27:30 (hh:mm))

You may have to play around a bit with the stopover time to get what you're looking for. But this way you can get Munich to Vienna from EUR 29.

Victoria, Minnesota
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Help with various trains (when to book)

Abalada: C+D = pure genius!

Never even crossed my mind.