We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Upstairs on TGV & Luggage

Australia
Level Contributor
473 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
Upstairs on TGV & Luggage

Hi!

I have an upstairs seat on the TGV Arles to Paris and I made an assumption that my luggage can be left downstairs. Was I wrong? I sort of thought like in British trains, there would be a luggage rack from the large suitcase downstairs and I would take my hand luggage upstairs?

Is this correct?

Thank you!

Southport, United...
Level Contributor
2,160 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Upstairs on TGV & Luggage

Looking at the plans there are luggage areas upstairs and downstairs so I would imagine you take yours with you. I can't imagine the downstirs passengers would be pleased if their luggage space was taken up by the upper deck passengers!

Maybe the man in seat61 can answer your question!

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
47,609 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Upstairs on TGV & Luggage

Well there are no double deck trains in the UK, so the situation doesn't arise.

Luggage theft is not unheard of on TGV so I would be wary of leaving my bag anywhere I couldn't see it or couldn't chain it to something.

Southport, United...
Level Contributor
2,160 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Upstairs on TGV & Luggage

I was referring to the TGV plans found by googling. I also noticed in Switzerland which has double decker trains that people took their luggage upstairs with them.

Back in the 1950s there were a few double decker trains ran on the Dartford Loop line in England. It was very exciting when you got one.

Australia
Level Contributor
473 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Upstairs on TGV & Luggage

Thank you. Yes, I too was referring to how I am comfortable with UK trains and accustomed to them, not that the trains were identical. We have virtually NO train travel where I live that involves luggage.

I am just wondering HOW to get the case up the stairs really, which is why I wondered if it was a mistake to book this upstairs seat. Perhaps they aren't popular due to this? Normally I have someone with me, but I am travelling alone and have not used TGV or Eurostar before. I was imagining very narrow stairs, possibly winding on a train?

Thanks for the Seat 61 guy, there is nothing on his website that I can find, nor on the TGV website.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,204 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Upstairs on TGV & Luggage

There is a picture of the stairs on this page of Seat 61 http://www.seat61.com/France-trains.htm

Mind you, the picture makes them look much worse than I feel they are. I have used them on a number of occasions and until your post have never considered that they might be a problem for anyone, unless perhaps with a specific disability. And I'm by no means young and strong.

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Upstairs on TGV & Luggage

The normal practice is certainly to take your luggage to whichever part of the train you are sitting in. There is no specific luggage area at the entrance level for passenger whose seats are upstairs.

Australia
Level Contributor
473 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Upstairs on TGV & Luggage

Thanks very much every one :)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
85,388 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Upstairs on TGV & Luggage

We travelled upstairs on a TGV last year. Luggage storage for upstairs passengers was upstairs.

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
8,053 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Upstairs on TGV & Luggage

There are luggage racks upstairs and downstairs.

It's an easy, wide, shallow, short flight of steps from the entrance door to the upper deck. Nothing to worry about.

It's really not a big deal assuming you don't have a specific medical mobility problem. But yes, you do get by far the best views from the upper deck!

10. Re: Upstairs on TGV & Luggage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 14:42