We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Singapore to Bangkok Train

Ireland
Level Contributor
156 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Singapore to Bangkok Train

Hi Anyone done This.

Want to Start in Singapore and do 4 or 5 stops with overnight or 2 on the way to Bangkok.Looking at Kuala lumper Pinyang Phukett etc

What would each Leg Cost on the Train and any advise on the way i should do this I have 18 days in Total starting in Singapore and Finish in Bangkok

Thanks in advance

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
646 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Singapore to Bangkok Train

I haven't done this by train only, but by bus and train. Train is very slow and freezing cold and I would probably do only parts of it.

On the way in Malaysia, stop over at Kuala Lumpur, Melacca (history) and Penang (history, food, beach and hiking).

In Thailand, stop at Samui or Hua Hin for the beach. I would only do the train ride from Hua Hin to Bangkok as that's probably the most interesting section. The scenery becomes the same after a while.

Ireland
Level Contributor
156 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Singapore to Bangkok Train

Thanks For That Kutepanda

Regards

Gotham
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Singapore to Bangkok Train

If you're on a budget, buy only your first ticket in Singapore and maybe not even that one.

Why?

Singapura train station and the tracks are still owned and operated by Malaysian Railways and they operate under the fiction that the exchange rate between the Singapore dollar and Malaysian Ringgit is still at par. It's now at 2.4.

I have taken the train between SIN and Haad Yai, breaking the journey in KL.

For Phuket, best to catch the bus from Haad Yai. But better is to skip Phuket and visit Koh Samui instead, getting off at Surat Thani.

Sydney
Level Contributor
424 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Singapore to Bangkok Train

Travelled KL to Spore than Spore to Hat Yai in Thailand. Had to offload there as it was a busy period and train booked from thereon to Bangkok

Oh well, spent a night with the cats and dogs ohh yes, plenty of rats on the hard seats in the bus terminal at Hat Yai hoping a Bkk bus would turn up. A minibus with a few guys did the Bkk offer, but felt uneasy about that one. So could have gone quite a few times to Phuket with the scheduled/unscheduled buses coming in all night. Air ticket was return from Bkk so had to find a way of connecting to Bkk.

Next morning caught a bus to Bangkok and I guess that was around 1,000 ks and the cost was 30 dollars. Offloaded on the outskirts of Bkk around midnight but managed to chat with an American guy so we taxied into Bkk near Humph Station and found a hotel for 15 dollars a night, any hotel would do after the mammoth trip, and a cold shower.

Train travel KL to Spore in a sleeper was 16 dollars and just fine. Sit up seat from Spore to Hat Yai I think was about 40 dollars. It is more expensive travelling south to north??

Anyway, all was good... the toilets on the train were not too clean, but hey, that's train travel, both western and muslim. Seats and/or sleeping were fine. Beautiful scenery. Safe. No probs.

Great way to travel.

Gotham
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Singapore to Bangkok Train

"Train travel KL to Spore in a sleeper was 16 dollars and just fine. Sit up seat from Spore to Hat Yai I think was about 40 dollars. It is more expensive travelling south to north??"

Well, if you bought both of the tickets in KL, you'd be fine. But if you only bought the KL-SIN sleeper ticket in KL, you would have paid a 140% penalty for purchasing in Singapore.

Sorry to hear about your experience in Hat Yai. At least you avoided getting blown up. Not a good place to hang about. The trick would have been to go to Phuket and catch a VIP bus to BKK from there. Yes, a few hundred baht more, but out of harm's way.

You would have arrived in Bangkok at the Southern Bus Terminal. Frequent city buses for pennies to the centre, though a taxi probably only cost 3 or 4 dollars.

Sydney
Level Contributor
424 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Singapore to Bangkok Train

All part of travelling :) - wouldn't change a thing. Unorganised organised travelling lol

I forgot to add that went over to Penang for 3 days which was a really nice experience

Hop off at Butterworth and catch the ferry over - 1.3 ring return. A bargain... a great temple over there

(Am just looking now to do the Saigon to Hanoi/Halong long train trip too)

auckland - new...
Level Contributor
23 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Singapore to Bangkok Train

Hiya, we are arriving in singapore in february and wanting to do bus/train travel from singapore - melaka - penang - langkawi - Kl back to singapore. do we need to book bus / train (part sleeper) in advance or is it ok to get tickets on the day? cheers Debra

Gotham
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Singapore to Bangkok Train

Book the train 30 days' out, some of the buses 45 days out.

As you will be traveling during the peak Chinese (Lunar) New Year holidays, you'd be taking a big fat chance trying to wing it on the day.

auckland - new...
Level Contributor
23 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Singapore to Bangkok Train

thank you.... i have heard that it is cheaper to buy bus/train tickets in malaysia rather than singapore? and idea which are the best websites to use to do this please... cheers Debra

Gotham
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Singapore to Bangkok Train

Only the train ticket is substantially cheaper to buy in Malaysia. And really it is a pain now to take the train ex Singapore as it actually leaves from the customs/immigration checkpoint, Woodlands, far from the centre.

Far easier and cheaper is to take the luxury bus northbound

https://www.aeroline.com.my

It leaves from the new "downtown" of Singapore, the Harbourfront, which is connected to everything and is now the #1 shopping/entertainment destination.

By all means, take the train elsewhere and back to Singapore.