We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

UK - LNER service to Edinburgh seat selection

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
311 posts
94 reviews
UK - LNER service to Edinburgh seat selection

I've done a couple of 'test' bookings for our trip from London to Edinburgh. We will go first class if the price is right but I'm having trouble with the seat selection.

We want the seats that are across from each other but just the two of us with a table, not the four seats around the table but I can't figure out how to request that on the sites. You can select, window or aisle, table or no, facing backward or frontward, near the luggage rack or not but not those specific type seats.

Can anyone offer advice on what I should request for two people to increase the chances of getting the seats we want. Thanks.

6 replies to this topic
Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
9,323 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: UK - LNER service to Edinburgh seat selection

If you use lner.co.uk you should be able to select seats from a plan.

No other site does that for this route, end of.

You cannot select these tables for two using the normal basic aisle, window, table options.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,744 posts
1 review
2. Re: UK - LNER service to Edinburgh seat selection

Further to this:

1. This layout only exists in first class, not standard

2. I think the option to select your seats comes after you've selected your tickets and registered on the site, but before you make payment (though may be wrong about that). Obviously you need to select first class tickets to be shown the layout for a first class carriage.

Europe
Level Contributor
387 posts
20 reviews
3. Re: UK - LNER service to Edinburgh seat selection

First Class is the way to do it!

A table for 2 some drinks and snacks / meal included and fantastic views - try and get a table on the right hand side of train in the direction of travel for best views.

Also do make sure to relax in the First Class Lounge at Kings Cross.

Finally do check when the sun sets as you don’t want to miss the views.

AndyBTravels

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
5,231 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: UK - LNER service to Edinburgh seat selection

You can also choose your seats on the Virgin Trains website if you take the west coast route. This is a slower route as the trains go through Birmingham, but they might offer a good price on First Class seats on the time you are looking for. In terms of scenery it's different, if not slightly nicer overall on the west coast route, but it will take an hour or so longer and there are a lot fewer trains.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
311 posts
94 reviews
5. Re: UK - LNER service to Edinburgh seat selection

Thanks for all the advice. Scrolling down after seat preferences there is a red button-Reserve Seat- when I select that it shows me a potential seat assignment. I can edit it if I don't like it.

Good to know!

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,735 posts
11 reviews
6. Re: UK - LNER service to Edinburgh seat selection

You need to select "Check out the seat map" on the page after you select "Reserve seats". Not really very intuitive.

Reply to: UK - LNER service to Edinburgh seat selection
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted