We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Frankfurt to Bergen

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
14,239 posts
172 reviews
Frankfurt to Bergen

We have an expedition trip leaving from Bergen and have decided to travel for two weeks ahead of that. That would be about the last two weeks of May. Our most likely arrival airport would be Frankfurt.

I have been scouring the Man in Seat 61 site and think I have worked it out.

I would like to go from Frankfurt to Berlin, later to Copenhagen, then to Oslo and finally to Bergen. Our ship will be taking us the Flam and the railway so we can go direct to Bergen.

I am wondering if there are any special towns along the way that would be worth a stopover. We have never been to this part of Europe before.

15 replies to this topic
Nijmegen, The...
Level Contributor
4,358 posts
17 reviews
1. Re: Frankfurt to Bergen

I would ask what is worthwhile seeing on the way in the relevant country forums.

But Frankfurt Berlin. Book 180 days in advance on www.bahn.com. Prices can be as low as €29,90. Plenty of direct ICE.

Berlin Copenhagen book at www.bahn.com 90 days in advance. Prices can be as low as €49.90. One change in Hamburg.

Kopenhagen Oslo with one change in Goteborg. Book at www.sj.se around 90 days on advance. You might have to split this booking by booking Kopenhagen Goteborg and Goteborg Oslo as I don't think SJ can handle a booking with foreign destination and origin.

Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
5,320 posts
28 reviews
2. Re: Frankfurt to Bergen

Personally I would forego the train between Copenhagen and Oslo. The scenery isn't much to write home about and faffing about with changing trains in Gothenburg is a bother (unless you plan on staying a day or 2).

Better to take the overnight ferry from Copenhagen to Oslo (https://www.dfdsseaways.com/) - saves a night in a hotel and you get to see the coastal scenery for the whole journey and enjoy breakfast while seeing the arrival along the Oslo Fjord.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
14,239 posts
172 reviews
3. Re: Frankfurt to Bergen

Thanks for all the advice so far. I will look into the ferry but we will be 14 nights on a boat going up the coast of Norway.

I guess I should book my flights and then some of the trains soon.

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
624 posts
4. Re: Frankfurt to Bergen

Lübeck and Copenhagen are worth a stopover. Gothenburg has a lovely archipelago.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
72,667 posts
476 reviews
5. Re: Frankfurt to Bergen

I would choose Copenhagen and Oslo. But your tastes and interests may differ from mine!

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
14,239 posts
172 reviews
6. Re: Frankfurt to Bergen

It looks like Lubek would slow down our trip. We can get to Berlin from Frankfurt on a fast train to have more time there, Copenhagen and Oslo.

Thanks to everyone for the help.

SaarLouis, Germany
Level Contributor
627 posts
7. Re: Frankfurt to Bergen

I would choose a connection via Puttgarden and Rodby, where the train goes on a ferry. It is an interesting experience.

Wengen, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
8,734 posts
8. Re: Frankfurt to Bergen

@WhiskyTraveller: why is changing trauns “a bother”. Changing trains is a normal and expected feature of train travel. I regularly do international trips with multiple transfers.

So believe doing Copehagen - Oslo by train is perfectly doable. Gives you the trip over the Oeresund bridge...

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
14,239 posts
172 reviews
9. Re: Frankfurt to Bergen

Thanks for all the help and ideas. We have to wait for flights and then for train schedules to come out.

Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
5,320 posts
28 reviews
10. Re: Frankfurt to Bergen

Krist v: Going from one train to another is more trouble than it's worth when alternatives exist. So if the aim is to go Copenhagen-Oslo without stopovers I still prefer the ferry. As for the Oresund Bridge the train goes under the road so not the most scenic option.

Reply to: Frankfurt to Bergen
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted