We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Purchasing tickets

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
4,918 posts
421 reviews
Save Topic
Purchasing tickets

Having a problem with ScotRail. Up until a few days ago, I did a dummy booking just to see if I could purchase tickets, no problem.

Today, I tried to purchase tickets and I keep getting a message that access is denied on "this server". I also tried with National Rail, but when I click on purchase it directs me to ScotRail to complete the purchase. I have tried Chrome, IE and Firefox, nothing works.

I even went so far as to register with ScotRail.

Suggestions appreciated.

Edited: 13 May 2018, 23:48
10 replies to this topic
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
5,446 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Purchasing tickets

Try a different operators website. Like maybe Virgin

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
37,080 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Purchasing tickets

In future, I suggest putting "Scotrail" or the country concerned in the Q title, so people don't have to open it to see whose train tickets are involved! This being a multi-country forum.

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
9,210 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Purchasing tickets

All 20+ train operators in Britain sell tickets, for all routes, all trains, all operators. So you have another twenty top choose from!

www.virgintrains.co.uk is easy to use and definitely accepts overseas cards.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
4,918 posts
421 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Purchasing tickets

Tried Virgin, got the same message, thanks for the suggestion. Will use Loco2 instead.

Hatfield, United...
Level Contributor
321 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Purchasing tickets

It could be because your Credit Card is not a UK issued one - try www.Loco2.com.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
4,918 posts
421 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Purchasing tickets

Could not even get that far. As soon as I put in the origin/destination etc and hit book, I got the message I posted on my OP.

I did get into Virgin rail once, so will try them tomorrow when I actually want to book, otherwise I will use Loco2.

Se Australia
Level Contributor
210 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Purchasing tickets

I purchase UK rail tickets from Australia using aus. CC all the time with no problems.

I have used Great Western, Virgin and Cross Country.

You shouldn't be having these problems trying to book from Canada - or anywhere else in the world for that matter.

Perhaps try a different card?

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,605 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Purchasing tickets

It has nothing to do with the credit card, it seems to be a problem with Scotrail website, I am getting the same message when I first do a search for a fare. However I think the OP has realised you can use other sites.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
4,918 posts
421 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Purchasing tickets

Now I can access Virgin East Coast and also National Rail and Scotrail seems to be up and running properly. I think the problem may be solved for now. Thanks again for the above replies.

Edited: 14 May 2018, 21:45
Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
69,131 posts
466 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Purchasing tickets

It's annoying when websites have glitches, but it does happen from time to time and they are usually only temporary. The difficulty, of course, is knowing for certain that it is a glitch, and not some other issue which the user needs to resolve themselves. I usually try a different site, if possible, and see what happens.

Reply to: Purchasing tickets
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted