We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train Plan from Lucerne to Rome to Florence to Venice

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Topic
Train Plan from Lucerne to Rome to Florence to Venice

Hello wonderful travellers,

I have a short trip of 5 days in Italy coming up in August.

Could anyone suggest any improvements to the plan below with respect to the train journeys keeping in mind that we get the maximum time for exploring these places ?

I would be travelling from Lucerne and am planning on this itinerary. Direct trains if any would be preferable. I understand that there are changeovers at Milan for the first leg of this journey and hence would like some suggestions for fast tracking the whole trip:-

1. Overnight train from Lucerne to Rome(Explore Rome for 2 days)

2. Rome to Florence(Explore Florence for a day)

3. Florence to Venice(Explore Venice for 2 days)

4. Overnight from Venice to Zurich(I have an international carrier leaving at 1 PM from Zurich).

Also I see from the forums on official sites of SBB /Trenitalia and the private operator Italotreno being the best for bookings. We want a comfortable journey with spacious slots for baggage as well a comfortable sleep during the overnight journeys(if that is the case).

Regards,

Soumya

6 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,314 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train Plan from Lucerne to Rome to Florence to Venice

1. There is no night train from Lucerne.

If you want to catch a night train (NightJet 295), you have to catch it from Munich, which means you have to take a daytime train from Lucerne, stay in Munich, and catch the train at 8:10pm to Rome

See

www.nightjet.com/en/reiseziele/italien.html

2. Rome to Florence, Florence to Venice, choose either www.trenitalia.com/tcom-en, or www.italotreno.it

3. Similarly, there is no night train to Zurich, you have to take the night train from Venice to Vienna, or Salzburg, and take the daytime train to Zurich

See

www.nightjet.com/en/reiseziele/italien.html

Please visit https:/…nightjet.htm as your background reading, and rework your itinerary

Wengen, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
8,354 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Train Plan from Lucerne to Rome to Florence to Venice

This will not work.

You will see a lot of the Italian train network, and not a lot of Italy.

From the fact that you start in Luzern, and end in Zurich I gather that you are actually visiting Switzerland and want to add a bit of Italy to it. I would suggest you either abandon that plan, or at least change your return flight to one from Rome. That way you may be able to visit Florence and Rome.

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Train Plan from Lucerne to Rome to Florence to Venice

Thanks Krist v.

How about doing this ?

1. Luzern to Venice (FLIGHT)

2. Venice to Rome (FLIGHT)

3. Rome to Zurich (RETURN FLIGHT)

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
69,296 posts
468 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train Plan from Lucerne to Rome to Florence to Venice

The simple truth is that you are trying to do too much in the time you have. No matter how you try and organise it, that will still be the case. Flying from Venice to Rome will not save you any time over taking the train.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
32,455 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Train Plan from Lucerne to Rome to Florence to Venice

To go overnight by train from Lucerne to Rome, take an evening train from Lucerne to Milano Centrale, then the night train at 23.17 from Milano Porta Garibaldi to Roma Tiburtina.

But overall, you are trying to do too much in too short a time.

Wengen, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
8,354 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Train Plan from Lucerne to Rome to Florence to Venice

You can’t fly from Luzern to Venice...

Getting from A to B always takes time. This is why you have to asume that a day you change bases will be a travel day, not a sight seeing day. Plan so that you spend three nights in the same place. That gives you 2 days for sightseeing, and one day for travel to the next place.

Also, book open jaw tickets when visiting multiple countries.

Reply to: Train Plan from Lucerne to Rome to Florence to Venice
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted