We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scenic Trains

Blythewood, South...
Level Contributor
5 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Scenic Trains

Hello, I am seeking suggestions for a lovely scenic train ride from London to Brighton during the month of May.

12 replies to this topic
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
5,467 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Scenic Trains

Maybe the high speed service from St. Pancras. It's a really nice looking, grand station

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
96,132 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scenic Trains

There is no spectacular scenery between London and Brighton.

Blythewood, South...
Level Contributor
5 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scenic Trains

Thank you. Perhaps a tour bus? Or a comfortable bus between the two cities?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
96,132 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scenic Trains

A train will be much more comfortable than a bus. Both bus and train go through the same, fairly boring countryside.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
5,467 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Scenic Trains

Why would you want a bus? Unless you just need then cheapest possible journey

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,655 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scenic Trains

>>Maybe the high speed service from St. Pancras. It's a really nice looking, grand station<<

Er what "high speed service"?

>>There is no spectacular scenery between London and Brighton.<<

>>A train will be much more comfortable than a bus. Both bus and train go through the same, fairly boring countryside.<<

Er the London to Brighton line passes through some lovely countryside. It passes right through the middle of the High Weald Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. And there are some great views as you pass over the historic Ouse Valley Viaduct.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
69,225 posts
466 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scenic Trains

I would take a train, but my origin station in London would depend on where i was staying.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
67 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Scenic Trains

>>Er the London to Brighton line passes through some lovely countryside. It passes right through the middle of the High Weald Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. And there are some great views as you pass over the historic Ouse Valley Viaduct.<<

Yes, it does. The main problem is a lot of the line is built in 'cuttings' (ie along a depression in the terrain), so you can't see much of it!

Not a terrible line in terms of scenic pleasantness and it could be perhaps more interesting to someone from overseas, but I doubt many Brits would actively recommend it as a scenic route worth travelling.

London
Destination Expert
for London, Devon
Level Contributor
23,859 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Scenic Trains

London to Brighton is only an hour by direct train.

If you want to have added scenery, you will need to allow much more time for the journey, be prepared to change trains en-route and pay more money.

The only reasonable alternative routes I can think of are:

- take the train which runs from London Victoria to the South Coast via Horsham, as the Arun Valley line is quite scenic. Alight at Ford and catch a train from there to Brighton.

- Take a train from London Charing Cross or London Victoria to Ashford International (don't go on the Highspeed train from London St Pancras International if you want scenic!). There is a lovely cross-country/coastal run from there to Brighton.

Edited: 13 May 2018, 23:47
Blythewood, South...
Level Contributor
5 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Scenic Trains

The opportunity for scenery is the main goal. High speed trains do not offer the views I was hoping for, however, it seems from other responses scenery is lacking regardless of the mode of transportation.

Reply to: Scenic Trains
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted