We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eurostar - London to Amsterdam

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
6,923 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Eurostar - London to Amsterdam

I am trying to book from London to Amsterdam, but it only comes up with direct trains from London and only journeys with one change form the return.

I am looking end of August, do I need to wait a bit longer even though the trains from London have already gone from £35 to £45

9 replies to this topic
Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
6,742 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eurostar - London to Amsterdam

No go ahead and book now. At the present time the direct train to London from Amsterdam is not available, as the Passport clearance facilities in the Netherlands are not yet completed. Therefore, you will still need to do the passport clearance in Brussels.

The best return option is a combination of Thalys to Brussels and then Eurostar to London as you will need to disembark to clear passport control. Estimates are that the direct return should be available sometime next year.

Nijmegen, The...
Level Contributor
3,772 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eurostar - London to Amsterdam

Book now indeed. They won't get cheaper and the first Amsterdam to London train is not to operate before 2020. Until then there's always a break of journey in Brussels due to immigration and the almighty important passenger harrasing security threater.

Edited: 13 May 2018, 06:06
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
37,077 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eurostar - London to Amsterdam

"it only comes up with direct trains from London and only journeys with one change form the return."

That's all that's on offer, there are no direct Eurostars between Amsterdam and London. In that direction, you have to get off in Brussels for passport controls and security checks. That's because these can't be done at Amsterdam or at any of the other stations served by Eurostar between there and Brussels.

As mentioned above, the alternative is to take Thalys between Amsterdam and Brussels anyway. Again, making sure you leave 30+ minutes for Eurostar check-in, 2 sets of immigration controls and security at the Channel Terminal at Bruxelles-Midi.

Hatfield, United...
Level Contributor
328 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eurostar - London to Amsterdam

As per other replies, there are no direct Amsterdam - London Eurostar's yet, for the stated reasons.

You need to get yourself to Brussels Midi with enough time to walk from your train to the Eurostar check in at the "Channel Terminal" and arrive there at least 30 minutes before your Eurostar to London leaves for security and passport checks.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
6,923 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eurostar - London to Amsterdam

Thanks

As Eurostar's web site lets me book a trough ticket, I assume all connection times are allowed for.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
37,077 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eurostar - London to Amsterdam

You should be able to SEE from the timetable website that the transit time proposed meets the requirements mentioned in several responses above (which indeed is automatic in all train operators' systems when asked for a through journey, Amsterdam to London)! Also whether the train from Amsterdam to Brussels is a Eurostar or Thalys - or, but only if using one of the national (Belgian or Dutch) railway operators' websites, IC = non-high-speed InterCity train.

If using www.eurostar.com, in the list of departure times for your date, click on "1 change" below any departure and you will get the full details, including the type of train (to the left of the departure time from Amsterdam) and the connection time, after the first mention of "Brussels Midi/Zuid", e.g. "0hr 44min to change trains".

If using the Dutch Railways site, https://www.nsinternational.nl/en you will already see the types of train involved on both legs (obviously the 2nd can only be Eurostar) below the times; to get the transit time, platform numbers etc., you have to click on the departure time and then in the box that comes up on the right, "show route".

If using the Belgian Railways site, https://www.b-europe.com/EN again you can see the types of train against each departure in the timetable, and you would click on the "i" on the right-hand side of each item for the transfer time and platforms.

All 3 websites count as those of directly involved "train operators" for the purpose of buying a train ticket from Amsterdam to London. So while you refer to Eurostar's own site, other users may wish to know how this works out on the others.

Edited: 14 May 2018, 23:41
London
Level Contributor
121 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eurostar - London to Amsterdam

We travelled back from Amsterdam on Monday last (14th May) and experienced the great disadvantage of the current system. The Thalys service left Amsterdam 10 minutes late and got later and later on the journey until it arrived 30 minutes late at Brussels-Midi. The Thalys train captain claimed to have phoned ahead and confirmed that Eurostar would hold the London service. They lied. The service left exactly on time, leaving a number of us stranded. Eurostar re-booked us on the next service, but there was no apology. In fact, their rep in Brussels was positively rude and said it was not their fault and we should complain to Thalys. Thalys said it was not their fault that a Dutch train had broken down in front of them.

Talk about pass the buck! I purchased a ticket from Eurostar, not from Thalys, so Eurostar should accept responsibility when things go wrong. They claimed that they couldn't hold the St Pancras train or they would miss their slot through the channel tunnel. So why did the Thalys train captain announce to the whole train that Eurostar would wait for us? There is clearly no proper liason between Eurostar and Thalys, despite Eurostar having to rely on Thalys to run the service. There was an elderly gentlemen with walking stick trying to run through check in, because everyone was told to move faster. It was awful. People were pushing him to get out of the way. Chaos. I'm a great supporter of trains, but I wouldn't use this again.

Edited: 16 May 2018, 17:15
Wengen, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
8,289 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Eurostar - London to Amsterdam

The ones you should really complain to is your government. It’s them that are imposing the silly security regime on channel tunnel operators that make all this so complicated. Without the security theatre and with on board passport control (as done on other international trains) there would have been through trains from London to all major Western European cities from the start...

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro, Portugal
Level Contributor
56,184 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Eurostar - London to Amsterdam

Wait until UK leaves the EU next year and customs inspections are added to the mix!

The regime for the tunnel was being formulated years before it opened. It was deemed impracticable to check 700 passports before the train reached Calais and then deal with possible detraining of passengers there at gunpoint if papers were not in order. Memories are long in France! And this was long before the US inspired 'war on terror' that makes air travel so disagreeable nowadays.

I agree though that communications between Thalys and Eurostar seem to be in need of improvement. I hope they apologised.

Reply to: Eurostar - London to Amsterdam
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted