We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Free connection with local train pre Porto-Lisbon Portugal?

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Free connection with local train pre Porto-Lisbon Portugal?

A couple weeks ago, I purchased discount tickets from Porto Campanhã to Lisbon. Initially, I assumed that we would take bus, subway or taxi to Porto Campanhã at our own expense. But then I read that you get free local connection to/from the long distance train - that correct?

And do you need advance arrangements or do you just show the Porto-Lisbon ticket on the local train if asked? Our Porto hotel is very nearby to Sao Bento so the route would be Porto São Bento - Porto Campanhã - Lisbon. Thanks!

6 replies to this topic
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
37,133 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Free connection with local train pre Porto-Lisbon Portugal?

I take it you read that here : https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g18915… - which covers precisely that route.

The official information is here: https:/…terms-and-conditions-bo "Passengers who buy tickets to or from Oporto-Campanhã (..) can use the respective urban trains free of charge to get to (or in your case, from) Oporto São Bento (..). In these situations, the tickets are only valid for an hour before the main line train leaves and an hours after it arrives."

That must mean that (as where I live) the long-distance train ticket covers you on the urban network, you just show it to an inspector on board the train if asked.

London, United...
Level Contributor
123 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Free connection with local train pre Porto-Lisbon Portugal?

Did this recently without any problems.

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Free connection with local train pre Porto-Lisbon Portugal?

@qaminari - I did a search but I didn't see that particular thread. Perhaps because the initial post was so vague.

But thank you both for your replies. Looks like we're all set with the urban train.

London, United...
Level Contributor
123 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Free connection with local train pre Porto-Lisbon Portugal?

My memory is we had preprinted tickets to/from Campanha and just showed them when exiting and boarding at Sao Bento.

Madrid
Level Contributor
3,315 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Free connection with local train pre Porto-Lisbon Portugal?

Sao Bento is a lovely old station, but too small for modern long distance trains. Therefore local trains shuttle backwards and forwards to Campanha.

We stay at the Intercontinental Porto and just exit the hotel turn right and Sao Bento is just 50 meters away. Just show your Lisbon ticket and jump on the train.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro, Portugal
Level Contributor
56,799 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Free connection with local train pre Porto-Lisbon Portugal?

"Just show your Lisbon ticket and jump on the train."

I didn't even have to do that. There are no ticket gates at São Bento and no-one checks usually tickets during that three minute ride to Campanhã. But have it to hand just in case.

Reply to: Free connection with local train pre Porto-Lisbon Portugal?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted