We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trains in Italy, Please help!

Level Contributor
125 posts
3 reviews
Trains in Italy, Please help!

For the past few weeks I've been building our itinerary in Europe. We have several "transfer' days in Italy in early July and I'd plan what we want to see in Genoa, Milano, Pisa, estimate time needed, and then would find train times that'd work best. I put these train times in my spreadsheet and often would print the train schedule from the Trenitalia website. So I'm absolutely sure I didn't imagine the dates and times that I chose. :)

Last night I went to check some connections on Trenitalia and see that many of the trains are simply not there now.

E.g. my printouts show the following from Genoa to Milan 8:18-9:55 or 9:18-10:55. Now Trenitalia on that date shows nothing between 7:21-9:00 and 11:23-12:50. To add more confusion RailEurope shows a train at 7:50-9:40.

Even more confusing is Milan to Monterosso part. I remember first finding connections on Trenitalia that would have 3 minutes in Genoa, so I called Trenitalia few weeks ago to ask if there is enough time and was advised that it was a direct train with a 3 min stop in Genoa but no train change. Now I don't see any trains from Milan to Monterosso, moreover - nothing from Genoa to Monterosso. So I called Trenitalia. Response: there are no such trains. The only way to get from Milan to Monterosso is to go to Parma, then to La Spezia, then to Monterosso. :o

There's nothing showing between Cinque Terre Villages. That's impossible, right?

Trains from La Spezia to Pisa and Pisa-Florence are now significantly fewer.

I'd think there might be a glitch on the website, but Trenitalia reps are standing by this new status.

Has anyone encountered the same?

Sorry, I'm not sure if this is a question for this forum, or for Italy?

Or rather for a psychiatric one? :) - I feel like I woke up and my neighbors house is not there, and no one remembers it or them. But I have photos of them and their house. :) Like I have printouts for those train times for my dates.

11 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
125 posts
3 reviews
11. Re: Trains in Italy, Please help!

I agree, hadiwi56a, relax until tickets are out. :)

Reply to: Trains in Italy, Please help!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted