We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ICE Nuremburg - Vienna - No numbered reservations 1st class?

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
ICE Nuremburg - Vienna - No numbered reservations 1st class?

On Sunday 27 May my wife and I plan to travelling Nuremburg - Vienna on ICE 21 at 8.30am. This is part of a journey to Budapest. We have bargain Interrail tickets (but 1st class) & I thought today to check reservations. Just in case.

I'm booking online and the system has a big tick against 'reserve requested seats' but when I look at the seat plan everything is shown as 'non-reservable'. However DB still are offering to charge me Euro 11.20 for the reservations as if they are available. They are not indicating either that tickets are sold out or in short supply. This pattern is repeated on later trains on the same day.

When I try again choosing 2nd class on the same train, I have a choice of about half the seats on the train available for me to reserve. I can also choose seats 1st class to go via Munich the same day but the transfer is tight.

To be able to book a reservation without numbered seats seems really strange.

Can anyone shed any light on this please?

7 replies to this topic
Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
9,213 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ICE Nuremburg - Vienna - No numbered reservations 1st class?

You're right - and very odd. Should be 2 x €4.50.

Solution:

Go to Austrian Railways instead, www.oebb.at, run a Nuremberg-Vienna enquiry for 08:00 on 27 May, select your train, click on 'More services' under the fares and then select 'Ticket already exists'.

Select reservation, 1st class. Now it only costs 2 x €3, and it seems to book this no problem.

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ICE Nuremburg - Vienna - No numbered reservations 1st class?

Thanks for helping out (I have been following you on twitter for a while) and that certainly saves a few pennies!

I've not completed the purchase yet though because like the DB site I am not having any seat numbers quoted at me. Will that arrive in the email?

Also this is part of a Nuremberg - Budapest so thinking I should probably book the whole thing in one go it charges 2 x €3 against the 1st leg with the second leg no charge. Still no seat numbers though.

Perhaps I'll be able to go elsewhere to change seat numbers later?

Cheers

Scott

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
9,213 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ICE Nuremburg - Vienna - No numbered reservations 1st class?

Oebb.at doesn't show seat numbers before you book, and on this route won't do graphic seat choice.

Just click, buy and it'll give you seat numbers. Better than not having a seat have having to stand!

No, once you book seats that's it, unless you pay another 23 per seat to book more. They cannot be changed.

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ICE Nuremburg - Vienna - No numbered reservations 1st class?

Thinking it's only €6 I'd already booked, and it has come through fine!

I checked the seats to the DB graphic representation & all well.

I am booking 2 weeks ahead because ICE 17 at 2.30pm on the preceding day Brussels to Frankfurt was only showing 2 seats as available, 2 rows apart. I booked them. That was a bit of a shock so I have been busy making reservations for the rest of the holiday!

Now I am wondering if even in 1st class only a proportion of seats are made available for reservations. As I would expect, having snapped up the last 2 seats, that particular ICE 17 now shows all seats as 'non reservable' too - on the day I guess we may well be able to finish up finding adjacent vacant seats.

Edited: 12 May 2018, 03:02
Teignmouth, United...
Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: ICE Nuremburg - Vienna - No numbered reservations 1st class?

Hello Scott

There’s no more seats available in 1st class on the 08:30am ICE21 to Vienna..

You mentioned you travelling to Budapest after arriving at Vienna. There’s ICE521 to Munich at 08:02, arriving Munich 09:07 changing to a direct RJ63 to Budapest Keleti dep 09:16. You can reserve your RJ seats at OEBB.

If you have chose to travel on 8:30 to Vienna, there are 2nd class seats available for €4.50 each

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ICE Nuremburg - Vienna - No numbered reservations 1st class?

Thanks Michail

I was considering the Munich option but if the connection was missed (and there is not much time) then the later alternatives are not good.

I might have not been clear in my 11 May 2018, 18:01 post that I have booked the whole journey through OEBB - as suggested by Man_in_Seat_61 - and have reservations through them on both ICE and RJ.

What I am still unclear about is whether the lack of available reservable seats on ICE means that on the day all the 1st class seats will be taken. I suspect not - indeed I half suspect there will be quite a few to choose from.

SaarLouis, Germany
Level Contributor
530 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: ICE Nuremburg - Vienna - No numbered reservations 1st class?

It would be unusual for all 1st class seats to be reserved weeks in advance, but it does sometimes happen (e.g. due to trade fairs or some other event along the route). Within Germany, all seats can be reserved; none are intentionally left for people without reservations (though some people will miss their trains and others will exchange reservations, which is possible in 1st class, free of charge, though only once). Not sure if this is any different for international connections.

Reply to: ICE Nuremburg - Vienna - No numbered reservations 1st class?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted