We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Ljubljana to Innbruck

Train from Ljubljana to Innbruck

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 May 2018, 05:00

13 replies to this topic
Wengen, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
8,749 posts
1. Re: Train from Ljubljana to Innbruck

Which trains? What date?

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
37,166 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Train from Ljubljana to Innbruck

"Later I came to know that the seat was reserved for only 1 of the trains and the reservation was unavailable for the other two trains. I have already paid the reservation fee."

It sounds as though only one of these trains was actually reservable, and that the fee you paid was for that 1 reservation. But without knowing which trains/departures were involved, and maybe how much you paid for the reservation(s), it's impossible to say.

At all events, if reservations are unavailable for the other 2 trains, how could you book these separately?!

3. Re: Train from Ljubljana to Innbruck

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Wengen, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
8,749 posts
4. Re: Train from Ljubljana to Innbruck

Off you give us the date and departure time we will be able to confirm whether this is just a matter of the trains not being reservable.

Anyway, there isn’t a reason to worry. You can just board the train, and if you don’t have a reservation you just look for a free seat yourself.

Moscow, Russia
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
4,417 posts
15 reviews
5. Re: Train from Ljubljana to Innbruck

Train from Ljubljana to Villach is surely non-reservable, unless it's a night train...

6. Re: Train from Ljubljana to Innbruck

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,458 posts
32 reviews
7. Re: Train from Ljubljana to Innbruck

"I've already paid the reservation fee (3 euros)."

That fee is only for one sector, the others probably non reservable. The EC314/EC114 are probably non reservable, or reservation not open yet. You can always try about 2 months before, selecting the same train, and tick 'other services' and 'ticket exists'

Wengen, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
8,749 posts
8. Re: Train from Ljubljana to Innbruck

August 21st is ages away. Not all trains on that route are even in the timetable. Buying train tickets that far in advance is highly unusual in Europe, and for that reason often fraught with issues. Which is probably the root of your problem. Had you bought this ticket for example on August 20 (like most people you will share this train with probably will).

What probably happened is that:

- Since the first train does not have reserved seats you were not offered a reservation for that train.

- Probably the composition of one of the trains you intend to take in Austria has not been finalised yet, and for that reason reservation was not possible.

Reservations are not compulsory on those trains, so do not worry to much about it.

End result: On Aug 21st you go to Ljubljana, find the train, get on, find a free seat. Sit down. You can repeat at Villach and Salzburg. Or look for your seat on that train where you have a reservation.

"This is the only train I booked that has stops."

With a few exceptions all trains have multiple stops. You have 17 in your trip. You also have two _transfers_. And there is another connection between Ljubljana and Innsbruck with 2 transfers later that day...

UK
Level Contributor
9,129 posts
26 reviews
9. Re: Train from Ljubljana to Innbruck

"Buying train tickets that far in advance is highly unusual in Europe,"

It may be in Switzerland (where, as I understand it, tickets cost the same regardless of when you book) - but on routes where saver fares are available (like this one) you will find that people generally book early because saver fares are "first come first served".

Most of my rail journeys are in (or to/from) countries where save fares are available - such as the UK and Germany - and I always book as soon as I can, so as to get the best possible fare.

Wengen, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
8,749 posts
10. Re: Train from Ljubljana to Innbruck

August is three months away. Do you know all the trains you’ll take three months in advance? Booking that early is unusual, and rarely needed. You’ll get savers a week out too.

Reply to: Train from Ljubljana to Innbruck
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted