We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

eurail 4 country pass vs point to point tickets.

6 posts
Save Topic
eurail 4 country pass vs point to point tickets.

Hi folks

Need your help in planning. Below is my tentative schedule for spending 15 days in europe. Since i will be doing 4 countries .. will it be better to buy eurail pass for 4 countries vs point to point tickets.

Arrival - Czech Prague 28/06/2018 - 1/07/2018

Austria Innsbruk ( Seefeld Tirol stay) 1/07/2018- 4/07/2018

Switzerland Lucerne 4/07/2018-5/07/2018

Switzerland Wengen 5/07/2018- 8/07/2018

Italy Florence 8/07/2018 - 10/07/2018

Italy Villages around Tuscany 10/07/2018 - 12/07/2018

Italy Rome 12/07/2018 - 15/07/2018

21 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
10,962 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: eurail 4 country pass vs point to point tickets.

This question has been asked a thousand times in this forum

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g1-…

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g1-…

The short answer is this:

1. do you have your dates fixed ? In which case, it is pointless to have a pass, which gives you flexibility

2. do you want to save money? In which case, do not buy a pass

3. do you want to travel by slow train in Italy ? If not, then do not buy a pass, all high speed trains in Italy requires reservation, at an added cost of €10 per sector

4. do you want to pay more than the actual cost of a regional train in Italy? That;s what happens if you have a pass

6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: eurail 4 country pass vs point to point tickets.

Hey thank you for your quick response. Yes my dates are fixed. Now this is my first time to europe so I am trying to figure out of lot of things for the first time. For instance the travel from Prague to seefeld ( not a main station) when i search via flixbus is around 100 euro one way for two persons and one one year old baby.. And I will staying 15 days in which atleast 8 will be travel days . the cost of euro rail pass is 750 euro for three of us. is that a better deal. In either way.. i AM not sure which is the best place to look for point to point tickets ? Any guidance in this will be very helpful to actually estimate point to point cost.

Wengen, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
7,489 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: eurail 4 country pass vs point to point tickets.

"And I will staying 15 days in which atleast 8 will be travel days"

You need to trim your list of destinations. Like this you will not see a lot.

For example, you are staying only one night in Luzern. That does not give you any time to do the things that people usually go to Luzern for.

When looking at ways to travel, always try to book with the railways themselves.

for example: Praha - Innsbrück via Linz will cost you 19,- euro pp (free for the infant) if you book now at www.cd.cz

6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: eurail 4 country pass vs point to point tickets.

Hey Thank you so much- this is helpful. I will book prague / seefeld tickets here then. I know there is lots to do at switzerland but I just had 4 days to spend. so I decided for a day in lucerne and 3 in wengen. I am yet to make my final itinary in those places. hotel bookings are done for the places though..

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: eurail 4 country pass vs point to point tickets.

You actually have 18 days in your itinerary not 15. Rewording it to point out the actual time you have to see things;

Prague = 2 days uninterrupted by location change- accommodation check in and out plus travel

Seefeld = 2days "

Lucerne =0 days. "

Wenger = 2 days. "

Florence= 1 day. "

Tuscan Villages = 2 days. "

Rome = 2 days. "

Counting your arrival and departure you have 8 days of travelling, checking in and out, packing/ unpacking etc to 11 uninterrupted days of sight seeing. Not only can this be expensive it could be exhausting with a one year old in tow. Maybe rethink how many moves you make and stay longer at fewer places.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
10,962 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: eurail 4 country pass vs point to point tickets.

As already advised

Prague to Innsbruck via Linz (www.cd.cz) about €19

Innsbruck to Seefeld, local train, €5.40 (www.oebb.at)

Florence to Siena by bus, about €8

Timetables (line 131R, 131R R)

tiemmespa.it/index.php/…Extraurbano

Florence to Rome, about €19.90 for mid June, booking opens 120 days before travel date, Book with www.trenitalia.com/tcom-en or www.italotreno.it

6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: eurail 4 country pass vs point to point tickets.

Also, czech train site is not very intuitive. I understand english only. All the options are not entirely translated. Would you recommend booking through goeuro website ? any other recommendation.

Edited: 09 May 2018, 18:24
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: eurail 4 country pass vs point to point tickets.

Thank you so much. You are god send. you have broken it down so simply. Yes you are right more than 15 days. This was a long awaited trip. Lets see how it turns out.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
10,962 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: eurail 4 country pass vs point to point tickets.

" Would you recommend booking through goeuro website ? "

Do not recommend going through 3rd parties, in case of schedule change, maintenance work on track etc. It will be more difficult getting refund/adjustments via 3rd party !

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
9,066 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: eurail 4 country pass vs point to point tickets.

www.cd.cz is in English of course, just switch it to English!

Reply to: eurail 4 country pass vs point to point tickets.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted