We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Frustrated with Priceline Travel Insurance

Dubuque, Iowa
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Frustrated with Priceline Travel Insurance

We used Priceline to book a room for 2 nights this coming weekend and also purchased the travel insurance for $5 per night. We thought the insurance was applicable if you needed to cancel the room however that is not true. Tried calling priceline twice and emailing the company that they partner with for the insurance however each one tells me to call the other one.

Any advice on how to get my money back?

Will stick to booking directly in the future :(

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,047 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Frustrated with Priceline Travel Insurance

Usually travel insurance covers you for specific cancellation reasons like illness but not just if you change your mind.

Priceline gets your money right away for the room and I don't think there is a way to get your money back unless you read the insurance rules and file under one of them that applies.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,712 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Frustrated with Priceline Travel Insurance

I can only assume that you did not read the fine print before you booked. Nor asked any meaningful questions.

Sickness, death, injury that is the sort of thing ANY travel ins is going to cover. PL or not.

None absolutely none are going to cover the change of heart unrelated to sickness, injury, death, etc.

You should be frustrated. But not with PL ins. My frustration would be with whoever booked without checking first.

This was beyond a rookie mistake.

Better luck (or read the fine print) next time.

Edited: 10 August 2011, 22:24
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,712 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Frustrated with Priceline Travel Insurance

But all is not lost. Not if you had bid well in the first place.

For the city I normally bid on I figure to get a $200-$300 hotel room for under $100 a night.

If I have to cancel and not get my money back (something that has yet to happen) I normally will still be saving $$$ when I rebook or in my case rebid.

A canceled week and then a week at say $95 per day is still cheaper than one week booked direct at say $250 per day.

I also bid closer to the time I travel. Less chance for stuff to come up.

Pre-paid is a great way to save money. PL or with the hotels. But you should be sure of your plans.

These quite large savings are best for those who will do their homework first and those that have firm plans.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
16,537 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Frustrated with Priceline Travel Insurance

I was not sure insurance covers Priceline "Name Your Own Price" reservations either, since those are always non-cancellable.

But, here's the link to Description of Coverage from PL website: priceline.com/vacations/Lang/en-us/InfoCtr/T…

Here's similar information at USAToday: …usatoday.com/cancelling-priceline-reservati…

Edited: 11 August 2011, 03:30
Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
5,053 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Frustrated with Priceline Travel Insurance

"Sickness, death, injury that is the sort of thing ANY travel ins is going to cover. PL or not.

None absolutely none are going to cover the change of heart unrelated to sickness, injury, death, etc."

Actually, many travel insurance companies have an optional add on to their policies referred to as "Cancel for Any Reason" coverage. They are quite expensive and have various restrictions.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,712 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Frustrated with Priceline Travel Insurance

Gehrig, thanks for the correction.

I did realize there were expensive add ons. My Mrs works in the industry and if you have enough $$$ you can get almost anything covered.

I should have said any regular insurance.

But I see so many posts like this.

People just assume, they do not do their homework or ask questions before they buy, then they get upset when something goes wrong.

It does take work to save money. And you do have to do your needed homework.

But if you are cheap like me its well worth it

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Frustrated with Priceline Travel Insurance

I use Priceline a lot. I also hate to firm up my plans until the last minute -- luckily these go together.

I make a cancellable reservation at my destination in advance. When the cancellation deadline rolls near, I double check my plans. Do I really want to be in that place at that time? If yes, then I bid following the guidlelines at betterbidding.com or biddingfortravel.com. You can also get information on what bids have been successful lately on these forums.

I do not buy the insurance because only a few days (or sometimes hours) go by until I check in. I accept the risk.

BTW, if you use the mentioned forums, click to priceline through their link. That helps them keep going.

8. Re: Frustrated with Priceline Travel Insurance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2012, 23:17