We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware using Orbitz, Read all the Fine PRINT three times!!

Nebraska
Level Contributor
3 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Beware using Orbitz, Read all the Fine PRINT three times!!

I made reservations for a stay at Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun in Cancun through Orbitz for the dates Dec 17, 2017 - Dec 22, 2017 . I realized immediately that the dates I chose were incorrect and called Orbitz. While making the reservation there was wording on one of the pages that said 48 hour cancel policy through Orbitz.

When I caught my error I called Orbitz and they said no problem just cancel the flights and call the resort and that it shouldn't be a problem. After Cancelling the flights, I called the next day and they told me they cannot cancel the room I would have to call the manager directly and that it should not be a problem. I cancelled the flights and called the resorts and the desk person told me I would need to call the manager and they were not there. I called 2 days in a row to next to catch the 48 hours and could not reach a Manager. I called Orbitz again and they called the resort and said they talked to their manager and the rooms could not be cancelled or changed. I asked about the 48 hour policy which was now expired and they told me that was for flights only and they conveniently failed to tell me this before the 48 hours was up. I cannot find the reference to this 48 policy anymore on their site. And to make it worse Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun has changed their policy to a 10 day cancellation notice..... They still won't budge... Orbitz now claims there is a 24 hour cancellation policy only applicable to airfare when I most recently spoke to them on the phone.

I tried to re-book the flights and they were filled up and the only flight available was very expensive. I called the resort again before the booking date and asked for help. I asked if I could change the reservation dates and was told I could not. I asked for fewer days with a penalty and they would not work with me. I asked Orbitz to change the dates or charge me a penalty. Between them and the hotel they were completely unwilling to help in any way. They took my $2400 and gave me NOTHING in return.

Discover Card supports their "policy" and will not dispute the case. I have called them and gave them all of the supporting documents and still nothing. Love the card, had it for 23 years, probably cancelling it.

Be very cautious and do your homework. It is very disturbing that we as consumers have to do our homework on big companies that we blindly feel like we can trust. Since then I've googled and found a staggering number of issues very similar to my own.

Google your travel company before you buy and consider buying direct!!

Edited: 10 May 2018, 03:06
8 replies to this topic
Sheffield
Level Contributor
5,434 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beware using Orbitz, Read all the Fine PRINT three times!!

So this was last year?

Nebraska
Level Contributor
3 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beware using Orbitz, Read all the Fine PRINT three times!!

Yes, I've been talking with the credit card company trying to work it out since December.

Edited: 10 May 2018, 04:58
North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beware using Orbitz, Read all the Fine PRINT three times!!

I'm amazed at the number of posters who can't even get their dates correct before they make bookings.

Before you hit the "book" button check your DATES three times!!

Nebraska
Level Contributor
3 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beware using Orbitz, Read all the Fine PRINT three times!!

You are absolutely right, the vacation was supposed to be a surprise and when I shared that we were going 2 of the three guests had changes in their plans I was not aware of. My mistake yes.

What is AMAZING is the the lack of customer service when I called within an hour trying to change a date more than a month away. They had nothing to lose, I was not asking for a rate change, I planned on paying for peak season rates, I even offered to take remove one day and still pay the same. I got absolutely no offers from repeated phone calls. Thats AMAZINGingly poor service if you ask me,.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
11,717 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beware using Orbitz, Read all the Fine PRINT three times!!

Unfortunately it's the norm for online travel agencies. From your stand point it's just one minor change. But, looking at it from their perspective one minor change to each of the thousands and thousands of reservations they take daily would be a big deal. They make their profit on small commissions from lots of transactions. Their business model does not allow for spending a lot of time on each individual.

I suspect that if a company were to establish the business model you say you want they would have to charge more and human nature being what it is customers would flock to the lower priced options and the customer service operation would go out of business before long.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
15,660 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beware using Orbitz, Read all the Fine PRINT three times!!

Sorry you got burned but it's hardly Orbitz's or the hotel's fault that you booked a non-refundable hotel room for the wrong dates.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
69,291 posts
468 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beware using Orbitz, Read all the Fine PRINT three times!!

This is a cuationary tale to not only make sure that the information you're putting in is correct, but to avoid surprises unless you're 100% sure that the dates will be good for everyone.

I suspect that przyk is right about the business model of online booking sites being unsustainable for he way you want them to operate.

Edmonton, Canada
10 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Beware using Orbitz, Read all the Fine PRINT three times!!

Geeze, that's harsh. I booked with Orbitz 2 years ago and there was also a mistake on my itinerary. Thankfully I didn't have quite as much of a hassle as you did though. I had a flight booked for someone which cost about $1300 which needed to be cancelled and I'd booked a flight with a no cancellation policy. I don't know why I wasn't charged extra or why I even got the money back since it was technically past 24 hours by the time I tried to have the flight cancelled. I suppose in some cases it also has to do with the person you're dealing with.

Reply to: Beware using Orbitz, Read all the Fine PRINT three times!!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions