We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do not book with booking.com

Bethesda
Level Contributor
3 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Do not book with booking.com

I am done having anything to do with this site. They make it seem as if you can cancel your booking up to arrival but in reality you are stuck and will owe the rental fee if you cancel at anytime after you make the reservation. Don't be tricked.

15 replies to this topic
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
23,165 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Do not book with booking.com

well I have booked with them numerous times including at least 4 trips this year and it is always clear in the booking what i am paying for and when I am going to be charged.

Edited: 09 May 2018, 22:39
Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
40,401 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do not book with booking.com

Booking.com don't make it seem anything. The property you are booking sets the cancellation criteria, sets the rates and is responsible for putting that information onto booking.com. If you booked a room that was refundable up to a certain date and the property hasn't refunded you then take it up with them. It sounds like you either booked a non refundable room and were mistaken about the cancellation/refund policy, or the hotel is one that is best avoided!

Boston Spa
Level Contributor
1 post
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do not book with booking.com

Have used Booking.com on numerous occasions and never had a problem. Each time I have used accommodation where I pay during my stay so have never had to pay up front and the standard of accommodation has been as described

Kent
Level Contributor
7,251 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do not book with booking.com

Used then 25+ in the last few years and always check the cancellation policy for each hotel as they differ, but these are set by the hotel and not booking.com, who take no money, the hotel does that

Townsville...
Level Contributor
7 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do not book with booking.com

I have always used booking.com for travel accommodation and never had any problems. The site makes it very clear when you can cancel up until. I have also made the error of booking and then realised and I contacted and got a full refund.

I will continue to use and recommend to anyone.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do not book with booking.com

I recently returned from a trip to Cambodia and Vietnam, planned and booked the entire 30 day trip myself. I have never used any booking site before but after checking out Booking.com and finding how convenient it was to book, cancel and change I booked all accommodation for my trip. I knew I would be making many changes so it suited me.

BUT, it is not as good as it seems as I discovered. I had a few shock moments when it appeared at a late stage my understanding of the site was wrong and my entire 30 days of booking were at risk and I would have to re-book at likely higher rates, if hotel was not booked out.

This is what I discovered:

* Don't try and get price match with Booking.com, not worth the hassle. Book with the other site if you want the better price!!

* Phone Booking.com (if a local call - not always possible) instead of emailing. To put it bluntly idiots/inexperienced staff are left to answer emails. I discovered at one frantic point I could phone and found the girl I got through to fantastic, only waiting few minutes. She was in France and there are a few call centers around the world. I needed to call another couple of times (USA) and each time the girl I spoke to was equally helpful.

* Not all changes can be done on the site, often I could not make changes and the first time when I had 30 minutes left to make a change and found I could not (potential costing me first nights accommodation) is when I panicked and discovered I could phone Booking.com. See next points for situations.

* If you have booked say 3 nights and want to reduce this to 2 nights the hotel may have a minimum booking of 3 nights which is not advertised and therefore you are not able to make the change. Beware!! This is when you need to phone Booking.com who will call hotel and ask if they will accept the change. In each case they did. But sometimes the girl could not find any explanation for why I could not make the change on line, and manually did it for me.

* If you have booked say 4 days and want to reduce to 3 days I had one situation where the site wanted to charge me a higher price because it considered the change a new booking and applied the current rate. Frustrated by now with Booking.com I emailed the hotel direct and advised them of my requested change and the issue with the site. I still needed to email Booking.com to advise so that they did not charge the hotel for the commission on the 1 less day.

* Some bookings and cancellations will not show up under your bookings. Panic # 2. When speaking on the phone to one of the girls she explained that it was possible to book and cancel through the site when not logged in, and only those done when logged in show. Who would have realised!! These can be manually updated to add to profile.

* Agoda often has a better rate. I did make a duplicate booking once with a hotel to test Agoda as they often had a better price and wanted the actual booking to show Booking .com what the rate was as the person who responded to my first price match debated the price I gave her with reference. The hotel was on the ball and asked me to cancel one booking. When I asked her how the 2 sites operated before cancelling one booking she advised that Agoda charges my c/c and passes on the payment to the hotel less commission, whereas with Booking.com I pay the hotel direct and hotel gets charged the commission by Booking.com. I would prefer to pay direct in case there were any issues and hotel was prepared to give discount to compensate. However when paying by c/c or debit card many hotels charged me 2-3% fee. Booking with Agoda and having them pay hotel would have saved this fee.

* I confirmed all booking personally in advance with hotel unless I had already been communicating with them within a few weeks prior to stay, being skeptical and reading reviews of booking sites and the problems. But all hotels were expecting me.

* I was told that if any problem with a cancellation etc and you got billed by hotel incorrectly, if you send the email confirmation of the cancellation to the hotel they are obliged to refund, and if not within 7 days refer to Booking.com who will refund money to you and bill hotel for reimbursement.

So the bottom line - in someways I was very impressed with Booking.com and when making many small bookings and possible changes to those Booking.com is convenient except for when you cant make the change on line. If booking one or two hotels for several days I would book direct with hotel where you can often get an equal rate or better as I noticed. Booking.com was frequently not the cheapest site.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
40,401 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do not book with booking.com

<<Don't try and get price match with Booking.com, not worth the hassle. Book with the other site if you want the better price!!>>

That's just common sense, unless of course you're still trying to play the system!

You don't seem to understand in what capacity booking.com act.

<<I confirmed all booking personally in advance with hotel unless I had already been communicating with them within a few weeks prior to stay, being skeptical and reading reviews of booking sites and the problems. But all hotels were expecting me.>>

Of course they were. You did book with them lol.

<<If booking one or two hotels for several days I would book direct with hotel where you can often get an equal rate or better as I noticed. Booking.com was frequently not the cheapest site.>>

Again, common sense to research first. Booking.com don't set the rates displayed on their site, the hotel does, so if booking.com works out more expensive then that's because the hotel want rooms sold through them to earn them more money.

The rest I didn't bother wading through.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
27,746 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do not book with booking.com

>>>* If you have booked say 3 nights and want to reduce this to 2 nights the hotel may have a minimum booking of 3 nights which is not advertised and therefore you are not able to make the change. Beware!! This is when you need to phone Booking.com who will call hotel and ask if they will accept the change. In each case they did. But sometimes the girl could not find any explanation for why I could not make the change on line<<<

If you couldn't see it advertised, how could the agent see it? They have access to exactly the same information as you - what the hotel discloses. If you didn't see the minimum stay requirements advertised, its the hotels fault.

>>>If booking one or two hotels for several days I would book direct with hotel where you can often get an equal rate or better as I noticed. Booking.com was frequently not the cheapest site<<<

Booking.com do not regulate the rates. It is loaded by the hotels themselves.

tucson, az
Level Contributor
4,317 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do not book with booking.com

Leyland, I always advise people to double check on the reservation. Over the years I've seen errors on both sides (though much more from in-house staff), weird glitches and, of course, oopsies. I know you meant to book with us but in fact you booked the unaffiliated hotel with a name only sort of like ours in that there are some of the same letters in both names and both names are in English a few miles away.

london
Level Contributor
752 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do not book with booking.com

kitap

well you can always click on the button that says show location and print that off so that you know that you are going to turn up at the right street - even if not the hotel that you thought it was going to be.

though I did once find that the location shown by the booking site (which may or may not have been booking.com) did not match the street address that the hotel had given, by several kilometres.

I decided to give that hotel a miss.

Reply to: Do not book with booking.com
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted