We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hot, cheap beach vacation ideas for December / January

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
470 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Hot, cheap beach vacation ideas for December / January

Hello

I am looking for reasonably priced holidays for two weeks, with flights from Manchester, England for late December / early January.

I am already going on holiday this year at that time of the year and ideally would like to have a holiday at this time of the year every year.

I am looking for a place with nice beaches and hot (at least 27c / 80F). Maybe Thailand? Are there any cheap places to go in the Caribbean? Anywhere else? Is Sri Lanka cheap? I'm thinking as cheap as possible. Sharm el Sheikh always seems cheap but I don't think it's hot enough at that time of the year - only 22c?

Thank you

Bonaire
Destination Expert
for Bonaire
Level Contributor
2,476 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hot, cheap beach vacation ideas for December / January

Have you considered Barbados? It will be hot in December, and there are flights from Manchester (about 8.5 hrs).

Barbados has gorgeous white-sand beaches and beautiful water.

I would guess that there are reasonably priced deals to Barbados from the UK, given the frequency of flights on both BA and Virgin.

You could also consider St. Lucia in the Caribbean. It will be hot that time of year. While St. Lucia is beautiful, I prefer the beaches and water in Barbados over those in St. Lucia.

Edited: 16 October 2010, 03:29
Znojmo, Czech...
Level Contributor
3,124 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hot, cheap beach vacation ideas for December / January

South Goa India would be a good choice but you need to get a visa and anti malarials. the weather will be about 30 with no rain. Goa is cheap.

Sri lanka is also lovely though you need to travel way south for the decent beaches, i reccomend Hikkaduwa.

sri lanka is also cheap though a bit more expensive than Goa but no visa or anti malarials required , the weather should mostly be hot and dry though expect some rainy days.

thailand same as sri lanka though more expensive depending on where you go.

phuket is expensive and very touristy.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
470 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hot, cheap beach vacation ideas for December / January

South Goa, India sounds like a good, cheap option - thank you, but also happy to hear other suggestions too.

When you say anti-malarials - do you mean get the yellow fever jab to immunise me against malaria or is there something more I'd need to do?

Znojmo, Czech...
Level Contributor
3,124 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hot, cheap beach vacation ideas for December / January

anti malarials are taken in tablet form.

yellow fever and malaria are not the same. it is unlikely you will need yellow fever jabs for Goa but

you will need to go to your gp for innoculation advice.

for any more advice on Goa head over to the Goa forum.

Edited: 16 October 2010, 07:38
Hagerstown, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations
Level Contributor
2,572 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hot, cheap beach vacation ideas for December / January

I'm not sure about the rates from England, but the Dominican Republic (Punta Cana) usually has some great prices and gorgeous beaches. The temperature that time of year is usually 80's - 90's, and the ocean is lovely. The pool water can be chilly though.

Hope that helps!

Kansas City, MO
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations
Level Contributor
1,022 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hot, cheap beach vacation ideas for December / January

Turks and Caicos, St Thomas, St Croix, St John? However, Turks and Caicos might be a little high.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
660 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hot, cheap beach vacation ideas for December / January

Chiming in late here, but for Caribbean, the Dominican Republic is usually among the cheapest and has good beaches.

Midwest
Level Contributor
842 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hot, cheap beach vacation ideas for December / January

Aruba CAN be cheapish, depending… we did it on $ 85/nt w breakfast, rode the bus around, bought groceries and ate out reasonably…?

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
5,793 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hot, cheap beach vacation ideas for December / January

I presume from your post that you are looking for tips fro Dec2011/Jan 2012.

I would second Sri Lanka, and we have spent two great (and hot) vacations at this time of year in Tangalle on the very southern tip of the island at Paradise Cabanas.

I have also spent many times in both Hikkaduwa and Unawatuna; brilliant!!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
470 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hot, cheap beach vacation ideas for December / January

Yes it's suggestions for December 2011/ January 2012 as I'm travelling to south America later on this year / January 2011.

Thank you very much for your wonderful suggestions.