We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why are only the positive reviews available?

Boston...
Level Contributor
49 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Why are only the positive reviews available?

I've noticed that not all reviews seem to be made public. For example, if you look at Golden Bell Thai Restaurant in Nelson, New Zealand, this restaurant received 8 excellent and 6 very good reviews. This information is indicated in blue and is hyperlinked and you can access all of the excellent and very good reviews. It also received 1 poor review and 2 terrible reviews. However, this info is in gray and not hyperlinked and you can't access these reviews at all. I have noticed this for a few other hotels and restaurants as well. I find this strange and am wondering what the explanation is.

BTW, I emailed TA support with this question 9 days ago and have yet to receive a response. I emailed them again 3 days ago to gently remind them that it had certainly been longer than the promised 48 hours, and still nothing.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
724 posts
325 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why are only the positive reviews available?

That's interesting - I get a 404 page not found error when I click on the link in the Original Posting....

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
71,071 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why are only the positive reviews available?

Hi katystava;

I would suggest that you look at the reviews of the Golden Bell once again. There are only 10 reviews that display, but 8 + 6 = 14. It appears to be a larger problem than just the 3 negative reviews not displaying, as a total of 7 reviews are missing.

If I may ask, how are you sending your emails to TA staff. If you are sending it to an incorrect address, that may be why you haven't received an answer.

Best Regards

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
96,793 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Why are only the positive reviews available?

alias_Ned_Flanders :

The link you refer to automatically appears as the OP has written Nelson, New Zealand, just as I have.

You can read the 10 reviews at this link:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g255678-…

Newton...
Destination Expert
for Newton
Level Contributor
3,151 posts
TripAdvisor Staff  What's this?
Save Reply
4. Re: Why are only the positive reviews available?

Hi katystava and all,

It looks like several folks (7) rated the Golden Bell restaurant using our Local Picks Facebook app but didn't write a review of it. In this scenario, we display the rating score only, and the review and rating totals don't match up.

Local Picks has been on temporary hiatus for the past several months as our engineers update and make improvements to it.

TA_Jeanine

5. Re: Why are only the positive reviews available?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2012, 02:18