We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Switching Currency...

Salado, Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Topic
Switching Currency...

Is there a way to switch the currency shown for prices on Trip Advisor, from the pound to the dollar?? Any help would be appreciated.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Switching Currency...

Are you using tripadvisor.co.uk or tripadvisor.com? I"ve just switched between the two and that alters the currency for me.

Be aware though that those rates are so average as to be almost useless, I"ve found that actual rates quoted from the hotel or a website like Expedia have only a vague passing relationship with what TA says the average rate is against a hotel.

For example, a hotel I stayed in last month, I paid £150 a night, TA quotes £300, OTOH I've seen rates on TA that were half the rate the hotel quoted when I tried to book.

Boston...
Level Contributor
2,787 posts
TripAdvisor Staff  What's this?
Save Reply
2. Re: Switching Currency...

You can switch it by choosing your payment type. You can also view TripAdvisor.com for Dollar and TripAdvisor.co.uk for Pounds.

Barbara-

Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Switching Currency...

I have the same problem, except I'm in Australia and really want to view all my European destination prices in Euros. Is there a way to do this? Thanks.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,789 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Switching Currency...

Hello Victripper,

Have you tried the instructions TA_Barbara posted in reply #2, right above yours?

Thanks

Noah

Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Switching Currency...

Thanks, I know I'm missing something obvious; I'm not sure what Barbara means by 'choosing payment type'. I usually do it for hotel listings by changing the currency under "refine your search" in the column on the left, but I'm finding that for apartments (eg. I'm looking at Vacation Rentals in Varenna) that option does not appear - it all appears in dollars (and I'm so thick at the moment that I'm not even sure whether I'm getting US or AU dollars, although I'm guessing the latter). Sorry, I obviously need very simple instructions!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,789 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Switching Currency...

Hi again Victripper,

No need to say you are sorry :)

Try this - just use this link to get into the UK version of TripAdvisor: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ I am in the U.S. and went to that site and looked up a holiday rental back in the U.S. and the prices shown were in pounds.

See if just using that link works.

-Noah

Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Switching Currency...

The UK site does give pounds, but I'm after euros. :-( So I tried the French and Italian TripAdvisor sites. They do give the prices in euros, but don't seem to have exactly the same places listed - in fact, with my schoolgirl French and limited Italian, I don't think they have the "holiday/vacation rental" category. It's odd that on all sites the sidebar to change the currency is there, but not in this one, perhaps it's because the prices are listed per week in the "body" of the text. I shall have to stick to getting the euro prices from booking sites, which isn't too much of a problem (and in most places we're staying in hotels). This is much more interesting than the work I'm meant to be doing, and the reviews in Italian and French far more enticing than the English ones! Thanks for your help.

Newton...
Destination Expert
for Newton
Level Contributor
3,152 posts
TripAdvisor Staff  What's this?
Save Reply
8. Re: Switching Currency...

Hi Victripper,

Hmm, you should be able to switch currency to Euros on the UK and also the AU site. Here's the link on the AU site:

http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/VRACSearch?geo=187837&q=Varenna%2C+Italy&inDay=9&inMonth=04%2F2010&checkIn=dd%2Fmm%2Fyyyy&outDay=11&outMonth=04%2F2010&checkOut=dd%2Fmm%2Fyyyy&searchAll=true&bedrooms=0&sleeps=0&bathrooms=0&l1price=0&l1currency=1&pricePeriod=d

The currency drop-down menu is on the left in the Price Range section.

It appears that in order to see the currency dropdown menu, you have to use the "Plan the Perfect Trip" section. So, in that section, click "Holiday Rentals" on the left to display the "Find Holiday Rentals" search field. Type "Varonna" and choose the "leave dates blank" checkbox.

The search results there should have filters to narrow your search results by. Does this work for you?

Jeanine

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
13,513 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Switching Currency...

Maybe there should be a tripadvisor.eu that works in English/Euros ... it's there, but just as a redirect to the .com

Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Switching Currency...

Thanks, Jeanine, I pasted in that link and it works a treat. Still not sure what the "Plan the Perfect Trip" section is (clearly I need to spend more time on the site :-), but I think I have enough now to do what I need to do (just saw a lovely apartment in Vienna...). Time to explore a little more. Thanks again.