We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel map auto-pinning reviewed places?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1 post
66 reviews
Save Topic
Travel map auto-pinning reviewed places?

My travel map is not pinning the places I've reviewed in the past weeks. Is this a change or has it never pinned reviewed places? I'd like to automatically get a pin for writing a review.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
58,932 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel map auto-pinning reviewed places?

And I dislike having to "unpin" places that TA automatically pins after I submit a review. I don't want any pins. Too bad we can't switch.

Newton...
Destination Expert
for Newton
Level Contributor
3,326 posts
TripAdvisor Staff  
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel map auto-pinning reviewed places?

Hi PaulSEA1 and PacificNWFamily,

we recently redesigned the Review form and currently the pins aren't automatically being added to your map anymore when you review a location. I believe this is temporary and that we'll fix this.

PacificNWFamily, I'm sorry that the auto-pinning annoyed you, we're just being helpful since you visited the place you reviewed, we just add a pin for it on your map. Is it too many pins to keep track of when we automatically do that?

Kind Regards,

TA_Jeanine

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
32 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel map auto-pinning reviewed places?

For whatever it's worth, I came here this morning also wondering why reviews were no longer auto-pinning. That was a neat feature, and I hope it comes back.

With regard to the poster who took the opposite view, I'd mention that any TA user can view your profile and see your reviews. So figuring out where you've been is still possible whether or not there's a pin in the map.

Given what I understand to be the purpose of the Travel Map, it makes sense to auto-pin reviews. If the review is legit, it's undeniable that you have "Been" there, which is what the yellow pins say. But if TA wants to be _really_ user friendly, I can't imagine it would be very difficult to make that setting a checkbox in your user profile to allow each user to set whether or not pins are automatically added.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
73,196 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel map auto-pinning reviewed places?

Hi Darlox;

The Help Us Make TA Better forum was created so that users may submit suggestions and participate in discussion of methods for improving the site features and accessibility to information.

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12104-Help_us_…

I would suggest posting your check box idea there where TA staff will see it and may add it to the site.

Best Regards

5. Re: Travel map auto-pinning reviewed places?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 December 2009, 16:48