We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why has my review been removed?

London
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Why has my review been removed?

I am so confused! I received an email from TripAdvisor saying “We need you to make some changes and resubmit your review to comply with our guidelines.

We noticed your review describes several locations. We want travelers considering those businesses to learn from your experiences.”

But my review didn’t mention any other location (other than saying the gin price was comparable to Dubai?!)

Please could someone explain?!?

12 replies to this topic
Australia
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Bargain Travel, Holiday Travel, Singapore
Level Contributor
27,597 posts
1. Re: Why has my review been removed?

Usually that kind of reply means you substantially referred to other listed businesses or did lengthy comparisons to other businesses so should do separate reviews on their listing pages.

Post a copy of your rejected review here in this forum and some of us experienced members can read through and see why they may have sent you that rejection.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
68,466 posts
66 reviews
2. Re: Why has my review been removed?

If you have a copy of your review you could post it below. There are a number of members who would be able to trouble shoot it.

Alternatively, you could contact TA Staff to make further enquiries. Can you reply to the email that TA sent you? If so, do that to outline what you have said in your post above. If you cannot, use this link:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/GeneralSupport-a…

Change the wording in the second drop down menu from "Remove my review" to "Questions about guidelines" (from the drop down menu choices)

Now a comment box will appear. Refer to the name of the restaurant (?) in your comments and include a link to the listing your review was for.

See what happens. It could take a few days to hear back. Be prepared for that reason they gave to be code for something else which is why I mentioned that you could post a copy of your review below.

London
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
3. Re: Why has my review been removed?

hi there,

my message said...

Having spent the past 7 months eagerly anticipating the dream holiday in Tuscany, we left thoroughly deflated and desperate for home-something we have never done before!

The borgo is absolutely stunning and the majority of waitresses were brilliant.

Breakfast was ok although being charged €6 for a poached egg when breakfast is included seems a bit of a rip off to me when the scrambled eggs in the buffet were so salty they were inedible on more than one occasion!

The main restaurant food was ok, but I think that the menu could do with a few more exciting daily specials (it felt like snapper was the daily special all week!)... I completely get that they use local produce but even I could have conjured something a little more exciting up daily. Also €16 for anchovies, bread crumbs and spaghetti seemed a tad excessive!

The fine dining restaurant was delicious and such a beautiful setting and the manager there was really lovely (as were the two brilliant waitresses).

In terms of the drinks, I’m afraid that unless the gin is made of unicorn tears, £16 for a g and t is more than extreme-even more than dubai where you would expect to pay a hefty premium!

Finally, we booked Casa del Lago not realising that it was 300m down a dirt track which was frustrating as we were travelling with young children so needed the car! The Casa is in a beautiful setting but is very dated, dusty, bad smelly drainage and could do with an overhaul throughout! There was also a weird noise all night which meant that we didn’t sleep for an entire week!

The adults only pool is stunning... the only downside is that the kids were in kids club 10-12:30 but the sun loungers don’t get sun til about midday... perhaps it would be worth offering kids club in the afternoons too? The kids pool is also tiny which meant it felt really hectic if more than 6 kids were in the pool!

The kids club staff were friendly but I would say that there weren’t enough staff for the number of children..and taking young children to play in a grain store during harvest doesn’t seem to be the smartest move!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,813 posts
84 reviews
4. Re: Why has my review been removed?

I'm going to hazard a guess. The Casa del Lago bit **sounds** like a different establishment. Without researching the area (I've never been to Tuscany), I don't know if the initial property you're reviewing is in any way related to Casa del Lago.

Now, I'll also take a guess that the first half of your review deals with an all-inclusive. I've never stayed at an all-inclusive, but I know TA is notorious for their poor understanding of how they work. You wouldn't be the first person to have this problem if my thought is correct. For that, you'll definitely need to contact staff, and probably with some persistence.

Edited: 15 August 2018, 05:21
London
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
5. Re: Why has my review been removed?

oh weird - its just one of the rooms - which was miles away!!

Australia
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Bargain Travel, Holiday Travel, Singapore
Level Contributor
27,597 posts
6. Re: Why has my review been removed?

Also, Maybe they think there are separate listings/reviews pages for “the main restaurant” and “the fine dining restaurant” you mention.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,813 posts
84 reviews
7. Re: Why has my review been removed?

Ah, ok. Here's what I know (or what I think I know) about TA's handling of AIs. They generally don't recognize that the many restaurants and amenities that would normally operate as separate businesses are actually part of the same property. Do note that TA does practically no research on properties beyond basic qualification for listing. So, I'm going to assume that TA read the review as I did, and figured you were reviewing more than one location.

What I would do is revise the review and specifically note that this is an AI. I would also drive the point home further by saying the Casa del Lago is part of the AI property. I feel weird asking you to write more, given that your review is far more detailed than many. However, this is one area in which TA seems to be lacking, so you may need to take the specifics another step or two.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
68,466 posts
66 reviews
8. Re: Why has my review been removed?

I do not get a clear picture of what you are reviewing. The first paragraph is about a dream holiday in Tuscany which would best be left as a wrap up in your review, if used at all. Probably not used at all.

Then you mention “The borgo” which seems to be a restaurant. I cannot find a listing in Tuscany for that, only The Borgo Cooking School and another one called something like The Murphy’s Pub Borgo.

Then there is a mention of breakfast being included.

Next you write about the main restaurant.

After that you write about the fine dining restaurant.

Then you add in comments about the Casa del Lago which seems to be a hotel in Florence. Their website does not show a pool, or kids’ club.

I try to name the place I am reviewing in my review. The experience being reported needs to be about that place. In your other reviews, you have started with first person pronouns (I, We, My friend and I) and used more throughout. First person pronouns at the beginning of a review make TA’s auto filters happy. In this review, for some reason you have used a passive voice: “The borgo is ....” rather than “We thought the borgo was absolutely stunning.”

Is this review about a resort where there are several restos, an accommodation and a kids’ club and pool? Do all those restaurants belong to the same property? If they have their own listings, you need to write your dining experiences there. If a resort, all in one property, saying that at first would help: We stayed at [Property/Resort Name] for [a week] which offers X restaurants for their guests, an adults only pool and a Kids’s Club and pool.

Then you would be fine to review each in a separate paragraph. But each component must be open only to guests.

I would also wait for a week before submitting your revised review. Those pesky auto filters can remember they rejected your earlier review for several days, so might kick your new one to the curb unless you wait a bit.

So Cal
Level Contributor
12,224 posts
75 reviews
9. Re: Why has my review been removed?

Yes, what e_c said.

FWIW, TA's rule on restaurants in hotels is this: if a restaurant is open to the general public (not only overnight hotel guests), then it needs its own separate listing, and reviews of it must be posted to that separate listing (not included with the general hotel stay review). If a restaurant is only open to hotel guests, then it does not get a separate listing, and can be included in the hotel review.

But as mentioned, the auto-filters still reject many AI reviews, and even many TA staffers appear ignorant as to what they are. So yes, do add in those details making it crystal-clear that this is all the one AI property.

(Now if those restaurants are open to the general public, then you will have to submit them separately.)

London
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
10. Re: Why has my review been removed?

ahhh I see!! to be clear.... everything I mention is about the same hotel!

Reply to: Why has my review been removed?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted