We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

User posting spam

Solihull
Level Contributor
4,937 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
User posting spam

This user is posting spam on the Birmingham UK section of the forum.

https:/…Ashely898

They are giving advice (dodgy advice), but then inserting "adverts" for their taxi company inside the advice.

I have reported it as advertising via the drop down in the forum but it has not been removed.

Maybe the admin cannot see the advertising hidden in the text.

This topic below is a good example of how they are hiding their adverts within the text.

Much of the "dodgy" advice they are giving it taken directly (copy and paste) from their taxi web site.

https:/…91

17 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
67,134 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: User posting spam

Use this template to send a report to TA Staff. Include a link to the poster's profile page as you have done here. Mention that their "About me" section of their profile page mentions their taxi business and they self promote in their posts too.

Use this template to send a report to TA Staff.

It's about 5 am in Boston, MA right now. It will be dealt with before the end of the day. Have a look later to see if the "Send message" link in the profile page has been removed. That usually indicates that TA have banned the member.

Solihull
Level Contributor
4,937 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: User posting spam

Thanks for the info.

I did not realise the admin was done from Boston, USA.

I assumed they had local admin in each region / country handling local issues (time difference etc).

Thanks Again.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
67,134 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: User posting spam

Sorry, this template: https://www.tripadvisor.com/GeneralSupport-a…

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
17,134 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: User posting spam

The majority of the posts by the member cited by the OP have been deleted, but she has one remaining reccommending her taxi company.

It’s in the Coventry forum and is in a question entitled “ Trip to Warwick University From London”

FWIW, I’ve reported the member to the Mods too.

Mondial

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
17,134 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: User posting spam

Too late to edit, but has anyone read the review posted by the shilling/advertising/self-promoting member?

She spends a night in a hotel in her home city of Birmingham, but the Review reads as though the hotel organised a RTW Trip packed with adventure and fun..... indeed, it was the “ best trip of my life”..

I imagine she thinks that posting a review might add some legitimacy to her TA profile and that her forum activity will therefore somehow be either excused or overlooked!

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,128 posts
822 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: User posting spam

That “BEST trip of my life” only merited three “stars” (average rating). 🤨

Essex
Level Contributor
31,540 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: User posting spam

It is not an hotel review in any way, shape or form.....

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
7,160 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: User posting spam

Agree with the OP's comments regarding the general quality of the posted advice ...

BTW, a more difficult situation to deal with comes when political comments are woven into otherwise rather informative texts with travel advice. I know of posters who made this into a bit of an art form ....

Solihull
Level Contributor
4,937 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: User posting spam

This poster is STILL posting spam.

While their other replies advertising their taxi company have been removed the user has not been banned.

Now they have posted more spam (see below) can this user be banned?

Here is their most recent post promoting their taxi company (note the link to their taxi company is "hidden" inside their review so is easy to miss).

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186…

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
67,134 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: User posting spam

Then you need to take the URL of the spammer’s profile page and report it again. You didn’t think it would be a one off report did you? You have to keep at it until Staff see the pattern.

Can the spammer be banned? That will be a Staff decision, but yes, if you keep at it, the spammer will be banned. The link to use is in post 3.

Reply to: User posting spam
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted