We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Email being shared with a 3rd party

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Email being shared with a 3rd party

So how come i get an email from trip advisor about a restaurant i visited 2 days previous? I never use trip advisor but trip advisor seem to know of my whereabouts and i would like to know how.

15 replies to this topic
Essex
Level Contributor
30,414 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Email being shared with a 3rd party

You have "used" TA before.

You have 2 reviews.

One is dated August 2014, the other June 2017.

Have you looked at reviews? Saved trips? Done research on the site?

Your "whereabouts" is Dublin as you have chosen yourself in your profile....

Have you set your browser to limit cookies?

Cookies are likely the problem.....

Edited: 15 May 2018, 05:56
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Email being shared with a 3rd party

I dont use it. If i have 2 reviews that beside the point and not my question, so stating that has no affect on this situation. I dont even have the app on my phone so how do trip advisor know i was there. I entered my email into a completely different website, a radio station, that day (with no affiliation to tripadvisor) I was voting for the restaurant. So have this radio station shared my email with trip advisor without my consent. 2108 and data protection is just crap really

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Email being shared with a 3rd party

I dont use it. If i have 2 reviews that beside the point and not my question, so stating that has no affect on this situation. I dont even have the app on my phone so how do trip advisor know i was there. I entered my email into a completely different website, a radio station, that day (with no affiliation to tripadvisor) I was voting for the restaurant. So have this radio station shared my email with trip advisor without my consent. 2108 and data protection is just nonsense really

England, United...
Level Contributor
14,641 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Email being shared with a 3rd party

Gary,

You do presumably understand that this forum is populated by other members, who try, as best we can, to assist other members with using the site?

There’s no need to be so rude to folks who are trying to assist you.

Why, ITNOG, would some radio station share your email address with Tripadvisor with whom, by your own admission, it has no affiliation?

Explain what caused you to think that, please....

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,396 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Email being shared with a 3rd party

"If i have 2 reviews that beside the point and not my question, so stating that has no affect on this situation."

Your original post stated that you don't use TripAdvisor and that information (which is incorrect) was presented as part of the reason you were so surprised that TripAdvisor contacted you about a restaurant.

Maybe the radio station did share your email. Maybe the restaurant did. If you are that concerned with privacy, don't give your email out this way. Don't vote for restaurants.

During my recent trip I took a cruise. I booked the cruise online (directly with the cruise line) and gave my email. After it was done, I received an email inviting me to please review my experience. The cruise line initiated it, but it was from owner.emails@e.tripadvisor.com and contained a link to their TripAdvisor page where I could write a review.

Is this the type of thing that is upsetting you? It's not TripAdvisor spying on you. It's the businesses that have your email info asking you to write a review for them.

What is it you are hoping to get from this forum?

Essex
Level Contributor
30,414 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Email being shared with a 3rd party

You gave your contact details to a radio station that has nothing to do with TA, did you look at their privacy terms before blithely handing iver the info?

Yet you want to blame TA for this

And despite having 2 reviews and one rating, you say you have never used TA before, oh do give over.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Email being shared with a 3rd party

Toddle on now as you clearly do not have the brains to answer my question. I will take it elsewhere.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Email being shared with a 3rd party

No this site is full of keyboard warriors looking to pick at peoples mistakes. Its quite embarrassing really that some people have nothing better to do. I clearly came to the wrong place to ask

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
32,086 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Email being shared with a 3rd party

Cookies. Do you clear them regularly.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto