We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why aren’t posted photos appearing?

Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
1,037 reviews
Why aren’t posted photos appearing?

Until recently, whenever I posted photos for a review, they appeared. But recently I’ve tried to post three photos (to illustrate a particularly charming café in the Czech Republic) but they haven’t appeared - despite several attempts over several weeks. What could be going on?

17 replies to this topic
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
71,227 posts
132 reviews
1. Re: Why aren’t posted photos appearing?

Hi

Are you resubmitting the same photos? Usually it takes longer for photos to be published on the website, and you may be 'gumming up the works' by resubmitting.

On your profile page, I see "Pending photos: 37"

You can contact TA_Staff directly, but photos are not a priority. If you feel that you need to contact them rather than wait, use the Contact Us in the upper right corner of the Help Center page.

Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
1,037 reviews
2. Re: Why aren’t posted photos appearing?

Many thanks!

Regards

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
53,391 posts
1,800 reviews
3. Re: Why aren’t posted photos appearing?

Higgins,

I did not see any Photos in Pending, but think only the original poster can see them in that status?

When you access Photos, from your Profile, do some show “ghosted,” for Pending? The Pending Photos will appear at about 20% of the brightness of published photos.

Also, I find that it can take up to about 6 weeks (usually 2-4 weeks) for Photos to pass through the filtering process, which is almost 100% manual.

When submitted with a Review, the Photos *usually* take from 3-4x as long, as the Review.

Do check that you see the Photos as Pending, then sit back, and wait, checking every several days.

Best of luck,

Hunt

Tucson
Level Contributor
19 posts
2,385 reviews
4. Re: Why aren’t posted photos appearing?

I noticed that many times only one of my photos gets picked up and other really significant photos do not get included. Normally this will show up in a couple of days from when I submit a review. Does this mean that: (1) the powers-that-be decided they only liked one photo or (2) the other photos are still going through the lengthy manual review process? How long should one wait before resubmitting photos?

I understand this is not priority #1 for TA staff but it is a pretty high priority to us who use TA for valuable insight.

For what it is worth, photo selection seems somewhat arbitrary. Some TA reviewers have as many as 20 (redundant) photos posted for one listing and, in many instances, those tend to repeat the same family members over and over (doing nothing exciting in particular, only consuming the entire picture). And sometimes the photos do not relate at all to the activities at the reviewed site. For instance, a picture of people on a ferry ride will be posted at a park site review but it has nothing at all to do with the park that was the subject of the review.

Out of curiosity, I also noticed how arbitrary the determination process can be when trying to get some things listed. For instance, a specialty candy store in Coronado or San Diego gets picked up but not in downtown Palm Springs. Or a neighborhood is is denied listing but others are (for no apparent reason) with all things being equal in those instances. Or an architecturally interesting pedestrian bridge over traffic in San Diego gets listed but not one in Dana Point.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
1,072 posts
1,028 reviews
5. Re: Why aren’t posted photos appearing?

I have made the same observations that on_the_go reports. I'll upload 4 or 5 photos, and TA will keep and post 0 - 4 photos; many photos just disappear. If I logout, I will see a pending photo count on my profile page; after some weeks, this will disappear with none of the pending photos ever posted. For me, this has been going on for the past two years -- very difficult to get meaningful hotel photos posted while other contributors seem to get photos posted that would be more appropriate for their social media. Just no rhyme or reason to the TA photo process.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
53,391 posts
1,800 reviews
6. Re: Why aren’t posted photos appearing?

As observed in 4 & 5,TA is trying to be SnapChat, and only wants selfies.

That is MY observation too.

Hunt

Murrieta, California
Level Contributor
26 posts
2,275 reviews
7. Re: Why aren’t posted photos appearing?

I have submitted 17 reviews today, all were published, but none of the photos that were attached to the reviews went through. Had no problem uploading yesterday.

Anyone else having this issue of photos not uploading today 05/30/2018?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
68,037 posts
66 reviews
8. Re: Why aren’t posted photos appearing?

No need to ask the question more than once SoCal. Your question has been answered following your other post.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
53,391 posts
1,800 reviews
9. Re: Why aren’t posted photos appearing?

SoCal,

The time to vet, and post Photos should be measured in days, or even weeks, and never hours.

Best of luck,

Hunt

Murrieta, California
Level Contributor
26 posts
2,275 reviews
10. Re: Why aren’t posted photos appearing?

Thanks for the response

Reply to: Why aren’t posted photos appearing?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted